Eel Tank Size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pkppv

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Simple question

Does an eel require as much room as a fish? Especially if it is a species that like hiding in confined spaces? Like, for example, could a 2 foot eel live in a smaller tank than a 2 foot fish?

An Eel is a fish too, but I get what you mean. Spiny Eels or Moray Eels can live in a smaller tank compared other fish, they are very flexible. Like a 14-16" Spiny Eel can be kept in a 55gallon with dimensions 48" X 12" X 21" Bigger tank the better tho

Yea my bad, I just didn't know what to call the non eel....maybe a bony fish as opposed to a cartilaginous fish? Thanks a lot, you've answered my question

Beware that the tank is not too shallow, or weigh down the top. I had a Tiretrack Eel brace himself against the bottom and force the top off the tank. He then jumped out and became the longest piece of fish jerky I ever saw. :(

Eel's are bony fish, just as goldfish, cichlids, etc... they are scaleless which allows them to be more flexible than most. Although reed fish are very flexible and have very hard scales.

My fire eel is 26" long and as thick as a coffee mug, he can still pretty much fold himself in half. In theory they could be kept in a small tank but I doubt you would raise one to its full size. Mine has never tried to escape but my friends lifted a 4 mm piece of glass off the top of his tank and got straight out and wriggled off across the room.

Steve

My fire eel is 26" long and as thick as a coffee mug, he can still pretty much fold himself in half. In theory they could be kept in a small tank but I doubt you would raise one to its full size. Mine has never tried to escape but my friends lifted a 4 mm piece of glass off the top of his tank and got straight out and wriggled off across the room.

Steve

I suppose its true as my 21 inch fire eel looks fine in my five foot and he is very active, i wouldnt keep a 21 inch noraml fish in there

Steve any pics of your eel?

Ive had my Fire eel for one year now in a 200litre tank. He was a new born when i got him at 3inch long. This is him one year later......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwK6XW9sXhs

....... in the same tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back