Eek! Snail!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

They're probably already in the gravel..

Get rid of them before you introduce fish if you're going to use some sort of snail-killing medication or whatever you want to call it.

1) No, bad idea, because some tanks may be fully stocked or too small or the snails may also be in the filters where any snail eating fish can't get at them.

2) Flubenol 15 is NOT based on copper & is actaully a perfectly safe Medication for fish for worms. It does not act like a poison (as copper is and not JUST for snails) instead it distrubs the abilty of parasite worms to ingest food and the little bastards starve to death. A side-effect of this stuff is that it WILL completely blitz your tank of snails. It will take a while (at least 2 weeks to see an effect on the snails) - don't expect them all to be wriggling about on the bottom of the tank like dying flies the moment you dose this stuff. If you follow my tried and tested method of adopting a 4 to 5 week dosing regeme then the problem of incubation periods for any residual eggs is also covered i.e. you won't see the damn things 2 or 3 weeks after a single dose suddenly making a reappearance as a result of a new batch of maturing snail hatchlings.

Andy

I think i'll do what you suggest underwurlde. I cant see any reason why i shouldnt have fish in there when i do this. If they have any parasite worms they'll more than likely get killed as well as the snails.

I already killed the queen snail, she dared chew on dave. A dozen of her minions are attacking my fake plants at the moment, whenever one gets near dave or the other plants they're sucked up, crunched, and tossed in the bin!

(another interesting effect, theres this slight dusting of either hard water marks or some kind of algae over parts of the inside of my tank. when one of the shelled infidels cruises around on it it leaves a trail of spotless glass!)

Most reactions

Back