Echinodorus/filament Leaf Plants

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Basically it's like this... there's a company supplying echinodoras that I'm buying off (for several tanks, some I'm setting up for my school and one that I'm paid to maintain.) None of the tanks have spectacular lighting but I will be using root tabs and the water quality is impeccable.

Some of the ones that I want are available submerse or emerse grown. Some are only available emerse grown. The submerse grown ones are more than double the price of the emerse grown ones.
So:
- Am I going to actually lose plants by buying emerse grown and planting them in an aquarium, or will they just die off and resprout from the base?
- Will they die and resprout anyway if I choose submerse grown ones, which have still been grown under ultra high lighting in a bath of chemicals no fish could survive in?

Also, here are my choices, does anybody recommend against these for a relative beginner to swords? I've done a lot of research and these look easy. I may not need ozelot green.
Marble queen
Devils' eye
Red flame
Green flame
Crimson sails
Ozelot green

Also with the filament leaf type plants or very fine leaf plants (milfoil, ambulia, rotala wallichii etc) are there any commonly available ones that can be grown under reasonably low light levels (~WPG, not my tank so nothing can be done here) with no CO2 (using glutaraldehyde, root tabs where necessary, and general fert? I think I'm probably crazy even asking, but still...

emersed growth will die off then new growth will appear, depending on the speed of growthh it can take up to 2months IME.
The only plants that may die even in submeresed state is cryptocorynes. but sometimes they dont.

the red flame may be a bit difficult, but no harm in trying :) I am not sure what "devils eye" is?
Rotala sp green might be ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back