Easy To Grow Red Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sonicfish73

Reaction score
I am trying to grow Rotala Macrandra but its quickly loosing its red colour. Are there any plants similar in appearance to Rotala macandra that can keep their red without having to add more light? If I were to add more lighting, I would have to limit it to one more 54 watt tube. Gotta watch the elec bill! I currently have two T5 54 watt 'Life Glo' bulbs which are bright enough for my whole living room and keep the rest of the plants growing but the Rotala has gone from pink to orange/green on top but the leaves are still pink underneath. It still grows very well and I've taken cuttings but its too much hard work trying to keep it red even with good nutrients and Co2.

I have Rotala Rotundefolio (R.Indica)
My tank is run on a T8 15W light, its still red, but some new leaves are green.

The general rule is that species with red leaves need more light than plants with pale green leaves, and plants with pale green leaves need more light than ones with dark green leaves. The science is to do with the density of chloroplasts in the mesophyll layers of the leaves, and the amount of accessory photosynthetic pigments in addition to, or instead of, chlorophylls a and b.

Specifically, the red pigments in plants are usually anthocyanins, and these exist to protect the cells from UV damage under intense lighting. Most plants have them, but you don't usually notice them because the chlorophylls are more common. Anyway, some plants have less of the chlorophylls and/or more of the anthocyanins, and these appear red. Plants in moderate or low light intensity environments don't need the anthocyanins so much, so don't have red leaves. In some situations, plants that have red leaves when grown under their normal (bright light) conditions produce pale green leaves when grown under less good (weaker light) conditions. In this case the plant is "economising" by not producing pigments it doesn't need.

If you find it difficult to grow plants with red leaves, try choosing plants with light green or dark green leaves instead. Alternatively, look at some of the Cryptocoryne species. You will find hardy varieties such as C. wendtii that have reddish-brown leaves that actually do fairly well under moderate light. Sure, they aren't pink like Rotala or Alternanthera, but at least they'll live in your tank.

Cheers, Neale

my ludwiga reopens got much more red in my low light tank, 15w it was on for about 12 hours tho!
maybe upping the duration may help?
i believe some plants will colour up more in low nitrate situations too, beware trying this tho! ;0)

The general rule is that species with red leaves need more light than plants with pale green leaves, and plants with pale green leaves need more light than ones with dark green leaves. The science is to do with the density of chloroplasts in the mesophyll layers of the leaves, and the amount of accessory photosynthetic pigments in addition to, or instead of, chlorophylls a and b.

Specifically, the red pigments in plants are usually anthocyanins, and these exist to protect the cells from UV damage under intense lighting. Most plants have them, but you don't usually notice them because the chlorophylls are more common. Anyway, some plants have less of the chlorophylls and/or more of the anthocyanins, and these appear red. Plants in moderate or low light intensity environments don't need the anthocyanins so much, so don't have red leaves. In some situations, plants that have red leaves when grown under their normal (bright light) conditions produce pale green leaves when grown under less good (weaker light) conditions. In this case the plant is "economising" by not producing pigments it doesn't need.

If you find it difficult to grow plants with red leaves, try choosing plants with light green or dark green leaves instead. Alternatively, look at some of the Cryptocoryne species. You will find hardy varieties such as C. wendtii that have reddish-brown leaves that actually do fairly well under moderate light. Sure, they aren't pink like Rotala or Alternanthera, but at least they'll live in your tank.

Cheers, Neale

I've noticed recently since clearing a lot of Amazon Frogbit, which blocked out lots of light has helped the Rotala. It's developed new red leaves since getting more light and Co2. Since iproving the Co2 I noticed some Amazon Swords looking a bit yellow-ish. I'm keeping an eye on iron levels and dosing daily with seachem iron, excel and waterlife liquid ferts. They're still growing but def look a lighter shade than the others.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back