Easiest Fish To Breed Excluding Guppies & Mollies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rolo0151

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had fun in the past breeding mollies & guppies but now considering attempting other species.

We're in the process of setting a small fish room up & fancy a little challenge

Well some of the hardier cichlids are fairly easy to breed. Convicts, for instance. Getting them to stop again is often more of the problem.

Many cories are relatively easy to breed as well.

Part of the challenge is working out what you're going to do with the offspring. Once you've sussed that then you're onto a plan.

DrRob said:
Well some of the hardier cichlids are fairly easy to breed. Convicts, for instance. Getting them to stop again is often more of the problem.

Many cories are relatively easy to breed as well.

Part of the challenge is working out what you're going to do with the offspring. Once you've sussed that then you're onto a plan.
We've kept cories before, really liked them. Cheers 4 the info :)

Bristlenose plecos are neat and easy and the babies will sell, not for much but always. They start with about 25 fry and in a few years it will be closer too 100 a spawn

In most cases for breeding you normally need a minimum of two tanks per species. One for spawning and one for growout. As you have more species you will find keeping a spare tank or two ready to go is a must.

Consider when you pick what to spawn how many fry you might get. A spawning pair of angels in a 25 or 29 gal tank usually requires a couple of 55 gal. grow out tanks. A pair of small hypancistrus plecos may give 15 or 20 fry.

Spawn what interests you. Spawn what you would like to see spawn. There are pair spawners, group spawners, egg scatterers, substrate spawners, stick eggs to something spawners, live bearers, mouth brooders, bubble nest spawners, cave spawners. The splash tetra leaps from the water and spawns on an over hanging leaf and then splashes it to keep the eggs wet for a few days.

If you want to try egg scatterers,,,...Zebra Danios and Black Widows are recommended for beginners......

Yeh zebras danios are meant to be pretty easy to breed

Oh come on Mate! How can you go wrong with breeding mollies. I have been doing it for years and just cant get over how cool it is. Plus you have free feeder fish and people are always on the lookout for beautiful feeder fish. I vote to stay with mollies! Maybe you can try the larger molly species.. Forget the name of them. MollyFish.com

here are some more results from the same question being asked here:
You should let us in on your fish room that you are setting up and what kind of equipment you have to work with. What climate are you in and so forth. That stuff really makes a difference. If your going to spend a fortune on heating water because you live in Canada... then it will be harder for some species.

WAITING FOR UPDATES MATE (p.s. I'm Jealous of a fish room. my wife wont let me)

well you said other than guppies and mollies so how about swordtails and platies
happy.png

kribensis?? so easy to breed and just gorgeous and so colourful!

ncguppy830 said:
well you said other than guppies and mollies so how about swordtails and platies
happy.png

LMAO I LOVE THIS ONE.

you know... THIS GROUP here on this forum seems a lot more laid back then fishlore and such. i like that

Well...
We're in the northwest of England, Manchester to be precise.
I've just about got clearance from the mrs to expand our setup into the garage. I wouldn't be getting jealous just yet!
It a bit cold out there during winter so I've got a bit of work ahead constructing a well insulated, framed section to house multiple tanks. I'm just starting to collect the equipment, then I'll build something made to measure.

It's going to take a while to get things moving but I will keep a photographic record of everything & post it up for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers for all of the advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back