E.I. Progress

Hi AP

Glad to see the progress update is positive, you seem to be chewing through the nitrates, i would dose another 5ppm tomorrow to bring you somewhere between 10-15ppm, better to have it on the highside than the lowside, so this should see you through until water change day, but check it in a couple of days to see the uptake rate, just to see if its pretty much the same.

So you seem to be going through 5ppm (or there abouts) every 2 days, so that would be just over 15ppm per week, i would revise your schedule for next week, although you are dosing enough, you may just want to dose a bit more to keep you on safe side, it would be better if you could keep the no3 from dropping below 10ppm, this just gives you a wider margin for error , rather than letting it drop as low as 5ppm or under.

I would dose 15ppm no3 on water change day and then every 2 days add another 5ppm, this should keep the levels at 15ppm or slightly above and then dropping down nearer 10ppm as the plants use it up, and then you just do another topup of 5ppm.

You can test next week but something like that schedule above would be good to try and maintain, i just think dropping down below 5ppm is a bit on the low side and would require a lot of vigilience to try and make sure it does'nt drop to 0.

Also how are your phosphate readings looking, any noticeable uptake?

But great stuff you are learning very fast, you will be used to it in no time.

Thanks zig and jimboo :D

I am actually enjoying doing the E.I. Its kind of like science in my tank, and I work in Science (a different area)....its all good. Its also rewarding to have come home tonight to see my plants pearling like mad :hyper: and little-no algae :D

And my fish are happy....which is the main thing I guess :p

i learnt something the other day, thought i'd share.

apparently the ratio of Nitrate to phosphate shoule be 10-20:1

ie if phosphate is 1ppm, nitrate needs to be 10-20ppm any lower than that and algae will outperform plants

phosphate 2ppm, nitrate would need to be around 30ppm etc..

this made so much sence i almost fell off my chair in excitement. i know my phosphate is 0 and nitrate is 2 hence why the tank is out of balance and i have the beginnings of an algae problem (lets not blow it out of proportion, were talking about the off clump of hair algae and the odd spell of BGA.)

just thought i'd pass this on.

Interesting jimboo....

I just did some searching and found an article that talks about this. It also has a very useful table for foguring out what type of algae you will get depending on your nitrate and phosphate levels. It is here. Its quite interesting to see that theres really not a lot of leeway when it comes to this ratio.....it is certainly useful for someone like me just starting the E.I.

Im not sure how the Redfield ratio relates to EI, i do remember reading something about it although i cant remember exactly what, i will read through it later, with EI the ratio is generally 10/1 of no3 to PO4, but these are ideal levels a bit here and there will make no difference.

jimbooo said:
thats awesome, thanks AP
[snapback]905906[/snapback]​

Sorry AP nothing to do with this thread

jimbooo im trying to send you a pm, is your inbox full could please check it, its telling me your inbox is full ive tried twice, i need your address.

Sorry AP when all else fails desperate measures are called for :D just hope he reads it now.

Ok AP i found this link and it looks really good for buying Dry fertilisers online in OZ, in the link click Soluble Fertilisers, and it will introduce a drop down menu of fertilisers, scroll down the list and the ones you are interested are Potassium Nitrate HAIFA (this is kno3) and Mono potassium phosphate (the PO4) it says they are sold in 25kg bags but i know if you email them they sell 1kg bags as well and its really cheap, other Australians on another site i visit have used these guys to get ferts, it will save you a fortune in the long run for very little outlay in the beginning, anyway i thought you might like to check it out.

Duralite.com

Angry_Platy said:
Thanks for the link zig...I couldn't find anything online :thumbs:

I get my ferts for free though from work :whistle: Just gotta make sure noones looking :p
[snapback]906505[/snapback]​

Oh ok i wasnt sure, didnt want you spending loads of money unless you really had to, but free is good, you cant get any cheaper than free.

Yesterday I added phosphate and nitrate. After a short wait for the chemicals to go through the tank I tested and got:

Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.5ppm

This morning I tested again and got:

Nitrate 7ppm
Phosphate 0.25ppm

So based on this.....my plants use 3ppm nitrate and 0.25ppm phosphate per day....which is approx 20ppm nitrate and 1.75ppm phosphate per week. Based on these results I need to add 5ppm nitrate every 2nd day and don't let the nitrate fall below 10ppm.....for phosphate, I need to add 0.5ppm every 2nd day and possibly not let it drop below 1ppm.....

Make sense?

Of course, I will still be testing to get more of an average before I start proper dosing :D

Most reactions

Back