dying platy :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have had a panda platy for just over a week now. I had my water tested. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 8 nitrate. This morning when I woke up my platy was lying at the bottom of my tank barely breathing. Her fins are clamped. I did a 60% water change and she didn't even move when I placed the gravel vacuum next to her. After the water change she stayed at the bottom on her side. I put food in and she perked up a little to eat a few flakes. After that she went back to the bottom breathing slowly. I am really worried about her. I just finished treating my tank from ick. She was the only fish who had it since she came from the store with it. I turned my temp up to 86 to treat ick with daily water changes. There have been no signs of ick for a week now. All my other fish are normal. How can I help her? I really don't want to loose her.

I would separate her, place her in a tank with aquarium salt.

1) platies can handle the salt, it would be good for her.
2) if she by chance still has ich, but in her gills, the salt will help with the ich too.
3) salt may help her breath a bit given she's a livebearer.

thanks. I have 2 5 liter buckets but only 1 air stone. my molly is in 1 bucket with the air stone because she won't eat and is spinning in circles. I was told on another thread that because she was deteriorating so fast the most humane thing was to euthanize her. I ordered clove oil on amazon but it's coming in 4 days. Who should I give the air stone to? The molly or platy?

ouch thats a tough decision.

Okay, what I would do then instead is opt for salt dip baths for the platy. Could do a little stronger on the salt for these, let her sit for no more than 20 minutes 2 times a day.

thank you. how much salt should I add to a 5 liter bucket? should I use aquarium or epsom salt?

I feel so bad for my molly but I know she is suffering :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back