dwarf puffers in 15 gal column?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Neil789

Reaction score
I have a well-established 15 gal column tank (13"x13"x19") that is heavily planted. I am thinking about adding 2-3 dwarf puffers. I currently have a 4 year old albino pleco (about 3.5" long) in this tank but I could move it to a larger tank if necessary.

I am also thinking about getting some pest snails to breed in the tank to supplement the puffer's food. Would this be unhealthy for the puffers? Will dozens of tiny snail remains significantly lower the water quality?

If you think puffers are not a good choice for this set up- any other recommendations? I was also considering 7-8 male guppies instead of puffers.

**Also, I know there is a lot of debate about brackish water for dwarf puffers, I am more curious about how many could successfully fit in this tank size.**

This is a good tank for dwarf puffers Carinotetraodon travancoricus. I would suggest a small group, say 7-9. No other fish, so agree to remove the pleco, puffers can get nippy.

The small snails are ideal. Pond snails and/or acute bladder snails are readily eaten by this fish. Malaysian Livebearing are a bit trickier to get because of their "trap-door" opening but I had a dwarf puffer for a short time and the MLS were no where to be seen. After I removed the puffer, in a few weeks the small MLS did begin to appear again; some were obviously remaining in the substrate out of harm's way! These snails do not add to the bioload in any significant way because they feed on organics already in the system. An excellent way to keep the puffers' "beak" sharp.

Brackish water is not needed nor advised. More info here:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back