Dwarf Puffer Care And Experiences

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ncguppy830

Male
Reaction score
does anyone here have any puffers if you do then could you post a pic of there setup and tell me info on how you care for them. 

dont think dwarf puffers are brackish for a start lol

wow you see i dont no anything about this fish, can one of the mods move this please

I had a trio a while back, 2 males and a female, lovely little things, yes completely freshwater, will need to be fed either live food such as small snails or daphnia or frozen bloodworm they will not eat flakes or pellets imo, not great with other fish as they are a tad nippy, need heavily planted tanks to break up their eyeline as they are quite argumentative, the two boys were always chasing one another! but I had them in a 60l heavily planted tank with just a few khuli loach and they were fine, nearly got them to breed as two had paired off but never saw any eggs or young. 

alrighty then thanks for the help one thing though would they kill cories or a pleco?

ncguppy830 said:
alrighty then thanks for the help one thing though would they kill cories or a pleco?
I shouldn't think so, they tend to be fine with most bottom dwelling fish and as long as the tank is big enough and has plenty of hiding places and plants the puffers should mostly ignore them.

ok great and whats the minimum tank size for them.

Minimum for 1 is 20L or there abouts so 5 gallons, 15 gallons for 3,
smile.png
maximum adult size is only around 1" they really are tiny but so cute! remember if you keep more than one you will want alot of plants.
This is the tank I had my trio in:
Here are some pics of them:

Okay I've kind of wanted a puffer too.... eventually. Anyway I know this might be an incredibly stupid question but, Do these Puffers "blow-up" like that one from Finding Nemo? (only thing I can compare it too)

betta fish said:
Minimum for 1 is 20L or there abouts so 5 gallons, 15 gallons for 3,
smile.png
maximum adult size is only around 1" they really are tiny but so cute! remember if you keep more than one you will want alot of plants.
This is the tank I had my trio in:
Here are some pics of them:

nice puffers thanks for the pics, could i do 2 in a 10 gall with a divider then?

ok thats what im planning to do then on e question though how many snails should they consume daily or weekly?

PlecostomusPerson said:
Okay I've kind of wanted a puffer too.... eventually. Anyway I know this might be an incredibly stupid question but, Do these Puffers "blow-up" like that one from Finding Nemo? (only thing I can compare it too)
Lol, yes they can but you wouldn't want them too really, I have only ever seen mine do it once and it was very brief during a scuffle, they do it when they are stressed to make themselves look bigger it's not something you can make them do without subjecting them to stress.
ncguppy830 said:
ok thats what im planning to do then on e question though how many snails should they consume daily or weekly?
They will need to be fed tiny snails, I found tadpole snails an ideal size but any baby snail will do, I fed them once a day around two snails each or 3 bloodworm as much as will make their tummy nice and rounded when it goes down you know they are due a feed again, they will beg at the front of the glass at you swimming up and down when you approach 
smile.png

well thank you for answering my question. Well I kind of knew that they wouldn't do it without some sort of offense or stress, but it is cool that they can, but also not cool because if they do, then they are in poor conditions. Thank you again, I will look into these.

betta fish said:

Lol, yes they can but you wouldn't want them too really, I have only ever seen mine do it once and it was very brief during a scuffle, they do it when they are stressed to make themselves look bigger it's not something you can make them do without subjecting them to stress.

ncguppy830 said:
They will need to be fed tiny snails, I found tadpole snails an ideal size but any baby snail will do, I fed them once a day around two snails each or 3 bloodworm as much as will make their tummy nice and rounded when it goes down you know they are due a feed again, they will beg at the front of the glass at you swimming up and down when you approach 
smile.png

great they sound like cool fish, i guess its time to start aquascaping now

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back