Dwarf Pleco.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Brattina88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My mom bought me a dwarf pleco before christmas and dropped him in the tank as a surprise. After battling ich (and winning, finally :sly: ) it occured to me that I know nothing about this fish, how big it gets, ect...
He's in a 10g right now with my guppies, and only comes out at night. I'm blamming him for the 2 day old guppies (14 of them!) MIA! :rolleyes: but i don't know if its a herbivore or what. Seriously, unless I stay up late i NEVER see this fish :X but he cleans the tank up good!

Hi...you have giving no descirption, there are quite a few pleco's out there and more still coming. :dunno:

okok, sorry, duh-me! LoL
He's about four inches right now, a pale brown color with some sort of spot pattern thing going on. Looks kind of like this:
http://www.perthcichlidsociety.org.au/gall.../Misc/pleco.jpg
But paler, and his fins/tail aren't near as long. At the store where he was purchased at the tag says only "Dwarf Pleco," and the biggest one in the same size mine is now. They don't know anything about them, and I was told that any pleco would "get only as big as the tank could allow them to thrive in." :no: Theres not a whole lot of discription I can give, I'm sorry. I never see him because he hates the light. If i stay up at night just to catch a glimpse the pleco will dart back into the cave if i turn the smallest nightlight on to see if I can see him. :/

That is a Common Pleco and by no means is it 'Dwarf' they reach a max. size of 24 inches in captivity, 18 inches if you are lucky. He will rapidly out grow a 10g so I would advise takig him back.

He's not like common plecos though, I'm sorry, I dont know how else to explain it. I meant that his spots are like that picture... idunno
I can't take him back, this pet store doesn't take in fish from private homes, only the big companies. After the pleco made all my fishies get ich I called the pet store and they said that even if he didn't have ich they wouldn't take him back.
:sad:

Hmm... He looks kind of like that, yea, but his fins aren't as tall like that. Maybe they just haven't grown up like that? I tried to get a picture last night, but they were either too dark or too blurry. Here's a link to the best one, its SO blurry though... this is driving me crazy! :S

blurry blurry pleco

Most reactions

Back