Dwarf Hairgrass

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rlon35

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, it's been about 3 months, and I had planted little clumps of hairgrass throughout my foreground. I have regular gravel, mixed with eco complete and covering a bottom layer of laterite. I have 130 watts of light (aged bulbs) on a 55 g tank. I inject co2, and I use a 6-9 hour photoperiod. For the last two weeks, I have dosed via the EI method, and my algae issues have all but dissappeared. The hairgrass has multiplied, but it has yet to form a full lawn. I have dwarf sag in the midground, and I am letting it mix in with the hairgrass a little (i.e. I move it back if it grows in two thickly, as I want the harigrass to cover everything. Anyway, I had a much easier time with glosso. Would it look bad to mix in some glosso too? Should I buy more hairgrass, or is my problem likely the size of my gravel at present? I often see the hairgrass floating up, and I need to replant it (botia striata a potential culprit).

good thinking on gravel issue, if its not a fine sand like gravel, it takes time to carpet no matter how perfect your tank is, I am holding on carpeting for exact same thing. the micro-roots cannot hold properly and do not propagate as fast as you would think, I forgot where I read this but makes sense.

photo or better a video of your tank (bottom) would be better to judge on this point.

I doubt it's your gravel size.
I can only reccomend you to continue what you are doing and just be patient. Keep up the CO2 and nutrient dosing and big water changes per week to get rid of organic waste.

I doubt it's your gravel size.
I can only reccomend you to continue what you are doing and just be patient. Keep up the CO2 and nutrient dosing and big water changes per week to get rid of organic waste.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, as always. I addedded some flora base to the front of the tank and put more dwarf harigrass there. I will be sending some pics when I get this thing perfect...if I do. Got CO2, ferts, and light well balanced, yet I struggle to keep the tank under 8 degrees in this apartment, with this weather....and I just got a complaint form my landlord as to energy use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, as always. I addedded some flora base to the front of the tank and put more dwarf harigrass there. I will be sending some pics when I get this thing perfect...if I do. Got CO2, ferts, and light well balanced, yet I struggle to keep the tank under 8 degrees in this apartment, with this weather....and I just got a complaint form my landlord as to energy use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't need to be perfect for you to post a picture. I run a "warts and all" Planted section here. :lol: Besides, if we have a picture, it may give a clue as to why it's not spreading like you want it to.

llj :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back