Dwarf Hair Grass on a coco mat.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I decided to add some front ground cover for my tank deciding on Dwarf Hair Grass. I ordered 4 3X3 inch batches on Coco Mats. The other options were bundled and potted.

I decided on the Coco Mats mainly due to never having heard of the things and searches indicating that they will promote quicker initial growth. The mats cost more than the bundles or potted options but the things intrigued me.

Anyone have any experience with Coco Mats that can give advice as to how to handle?

Don't put hair grass in the tank because it's not an aquatic plant and will usually die within a month. If you do try to keep it underwater, it needs really bright light, CO2 and loads of fertiliser. Even then there is no guarantee it will live.

Pygmy chain swords or dwarf Sagittaria are better options for low growing plants.

Don't put hair grass in the tank because it's not an aquatic plant and will usually die within a month. If you do try to keep it underwater, it needs really bright light, CO2 and loads of fertiliser. Even then there is no guarantee it will live.

Pygmy chain swords or dwarf Sagittaria are better options for low growing plants.
Well that's not happy making. :( ;) Since I already ordered I guess my cockatiel has another plant. ;)

Just emailed my 'plant supplier' to see if I can replace the order with Pygmy chain swords and/or dwarf Sagittaria. Told them my preference would be two of each and we could work out any price difference. We shall see what we shall see. ;)

I've only kept hairgrass alive long-term in one of my low-tech tanks. I started it with the "dry" method, and it survived for a few years. But it never formed a real carpet for me, either.

I've only kept hairgrass alive long-term in one of my low-tech tanks. I started it with the "dry" method, and it survived for a few years. But it never formed a real carpet for me, either.
I just hope that my 'supplier' is willing to work with me. So far they have been really good even sending me a PDF file of my initial order when I goofed and deleted my email copy.

I think we will work something out as they have seemed really decent and seem to want to please their customers. The supplier is https://www.wetplants.com/ and, so far, I have zero complaints. So far I can't make a negative comment on this outfit. My initial order far surpassed my expectations.

Here is a small of the initial plants I got. This was not cheap at ~$120.00 USD but how can one argue with the quality?
IMG_2382.JPG

Don't put hair grass in the tank because it's not an aquatic plant and will usually die within a month.
I have had it in my tank and it did just fine and and we in the tank for well over a year and did grow. It has been in use in aquariums for a very long time. Dwarf hair grass is swamp plant that does well in wet soil or totally under water. Most plants used in the aquarium hobby are swamp plants. Two other examples of swamp plants are Anubiaas and lava fern which are also widely used in aquariums

Dwarf hair grass roots best in soils or mats made of metal or cloth or coco . it doesn't root well in gravel and and will spread out much more slowly in gravel. If it dies in the tank the cause is most often insufficient nutrients for plant growth.

Got the new plants today and, again, they are pristine from wetplants.com. Just my two small driftwood pieces to go and the tank will be done... at least until I start messing again. ;)

Most reactions

Back