Dwarf Gourami Gender

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Primm

Reaction score
Hi all,

This DG was sold to me as female. But has come under a lot of hostility from an obviously male DG. Could anyone please clarify for me?

67d27bfb.jpg

That's definitely a male.

That's definitely a male.

Obviously I need to separate them as its only a 125l tank. Would it be acceptable for it to be put in a 10g with guppies or will I have more trouble on my hands?

Also thanks for the quick response.

He should be okay with the guppies; better there than in with another male anyway!

Took some catching, but swap complete. DG currently hiding from guppies that couldn't care less they have a new tank mate!

Thanks for the help. :good:

While the thread is here, is there any danger that the male DG in my 125l will find a new 'target' or was it solely down to the other male DG being in close proximity?

That Dwarf looks very stressed in that pic, poor thing. He'll be fine with the Guppies more than likely. I had a male Dwarf with 4 Guppies & 5 Glowlights in a 10 gallon and it was fine.

DGs are (normally! There are exceptions in all fish..) only aggressive to their own species, so your other fish should be quite safe :good:

DGs are (normally! There are exceptions in all fish..) only aggressive to their own species, so your other fish should be quite safe :good:

Could you get a better pic of the one in question, as it looks very faint colour for a male, i have 2 females wich look almost the same colour as that when they are in prime condition, their stripes show right through... also the anal fin is very rounded for a male towards its posterior like a females.

I know its 90% likely to be a male from what other members have said, but i'm just curious if its a bad coloured photo or just a dull male. As i have a around 30juveniles just under 10mm growing at the moment... so obviously would be keen to see varying colours for when the time comes to seporate them up.

I know what you mean Super-MAGuire but you can see the stress in the fish's face. He's being dominated by another male. I bet he colors up nicely & develops his masculinity when he's separated from the other male. Guppys usually get along fine with Dwarf G'.

I think the colour is a little off because the tank lights were shining through the fish.

I'll try and get a better picture for you when I get home from work!

I think the colour is a little off because the tank lights were shining through the fish.

I'll try and get a better picture for you when I get home from work!

Thanks just because it looks very silvery. I am wondering if it was just a lightly coloured male or vivid coloured female.

Here's pics of both

ae686c91.jpg

And

f3ffd706.jpg

The top one is a male, the bottom is a female, not just the colours but the dorsal fin and anal fin shaping. The reason she has been getting herrassed is probs because of mateing, try adding another female if you have space to the tank to take some pressure off her.

But you deffo have 1 male and 1 female dwarf gourami their. Her markings are very prominant. They should get on okay... but obviously they have not been, so i would add another female if i was you.

Sorry to hitchhike your post can anyone tell if this is a male or female

http://db.tt/C1YJ5ww3

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back