Dwarf Cichlids

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Reaction score
ok thank you so i was planning on using the quick start and leaving the filter to run for a week before adding fish, then slowly adding fish to the tank
If you use a "starter" use the tetra safestart. That is the only brand that uses the correct species of bacteria.
Quickstart may help for a small amount of time but it won't work that well.

Also proper cycling takes 3-4 weeks (sometimes less).
If the tank is just sitting there with bacteria in there but nothing to feed it the bacteria won't grow.
I would read through the fishless cycling link I gave above. But this time look at the section that says HOW to do it.
You will need a bottle of pure ammonia with no additives and figure out how much to add to get to 3ppm of ammonia.

Nitrites eat ammonia> Nitrites produce nitrates> nitrates eat Nitrites.
Then we remove nitrates with water changes or if your tank is heavily planted the plants will use ammonia as a source of food therefore decreasing the amount of nitrates produced at the end.
But you would need a ton of plants in that tank size for that.

I really hope your tank turns out the way you want it to! It's always really fun putting together a nice scape and choosing fish.

Also doing all the stuff that makes you feel like a mad scientist 🤪🤣

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I would forget the amorax as well. If the tank is cycled properly, there shouldn't be any ammonia, and using amorax at the start will remove any ammonia starving the bacteria/plants of their food. Ammonia removing media has no place in a properly cycled tank.

OP
OP
Nemo91

Nemo91

Reaction score
If you use a "starter" use the tetra safestart. That is the only brand that uses the correct species of bacteria.
Quickstart may help for a small amount of time but it won't work that well.

Also proper cycling takes 3-4 weeks (sometimes less).
If the tank is just sitting there with bacteria in there but nothing to feed it the bacteria won't grow.
I would read through the fishless cycling link I gave above. But this time look at the section that says HOW to do it.
You will need a bottle of pure ammonia with no additives and figure out how much to add to get to 3ppm of ammonia.

Nitrites eat ammonia> Nitrites produce nitrates> nitrates eat Nitrites.
Then we remove nitrates with water changes or if your tank is heavily planted the plants will use ammonia as a source of food therefore decreasing the amount of nitrates produced at the end.
But you would need a ton of plants in that tank size for that.

I really hope your tank turns out the way you want it to! It's always really fun putting together a nice scape and choosing fish.

Also doing all the stuff that makes you feel like a mad scientist 🤪🤣
ok perfect I will make sure I will look it all up for the fish I want to add to the tank, do you know anything about armoured shrimp??

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Reaction score
armoured shrimp??
Do you mean amano shrimp? I have never kept them but I do want to get some in coming months.
I know a little about them but I'm not an expert at all lol
I will make sure I will look it all up for the fish I want to add to the tank
Look up the safestart stuff? Sorry I said a lot in that other post so I'm unsure of what you mean...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online