What's new

Dwarf cichlid numbers - 55 gallon

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Bub

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How many dwarf cichlids would you say can be housed in a 55g tank? Specifically Bolivian rams and Apistogramma hongsloi (or another species if needs be).

With neotropical cichlids, only one species should be housed in a tank. So here, either Bolivian Ram(s) or an Apistogramma species. The numbers for either depends upon what you intend (successful spawning, or not).

It will also help to know the actual dimensions of the tank, as these affect the territory aspect.

Reactions: Bub
A pity, but as expected. It would be a standard 55g, 48 x 12 x 21 (L X W X H). I already have Bolivians, but saw some spectacular A. hongsloi at my LFS recently. Took quite a bit of restraint to not get them, but didn't want to jump the gun seeing as how I'm a big fan of my Bolivians. Thought as they are a different genus and prefer caves to the rams rocks they would be okay. Guess its good I restrained myself then...

Edit*** I don't care about successful spawning really. Been there, done that. Happens constantly and the rams do well together. The fry don't tend to last unless I do something with them.

Last edited:
A pity, but as expected. It would be a standard 55g, 48 x 12 x 21 (L X W X H). I already have Bolivians, but saw some spectacular A. hongsloi at my LFS recently. Took quite a bit of restraint to not get them, but didn't want to jump the gun seeing as how I'm a big fan of my Bolivians. Thought as they are a different genus and prefer caves to the rams rocks they would be okay. Guess its good I restrained myself then...

Edit*** I don't care about successful spawning really. Been there, done that. Happens constantly and the rams do well together. The fry don't tend to last unless I do something with them.

Sounds good. Now that I know about the existing rams, I can assure you they have claimed the entire tank as their territory. More than one male means divided space, if they are living together peacefully; one male would claim the entire tank space, and any cichlid entering that tank is now going to be attacked. My lone male in a 115g 5-foot tank made it very clear the entire tank was his space; the other fish were all characins and Corydoras, over a hundred, but it was interesting to observe all of them toeing the line with the Bolivian Ram in charge.

Sounds good. Now that I know about the existing rams, I can assure you they have claimed the entire tank as their territory. More than one male means divided space, if they are living together peacefully; one male would claim the entire tank space, and any cichlid entering that tank is now going to be attacked. My lone male in a 115g 5-foot tank made it very clear the entire tank was his space; the other fish were all characins and Corydoras, over a hundred, but it was interesting to observe all of them toeing the line with the Bolivian Ram in charge.
Thanks for the info. Glad I didn't go with the purchase then. And that was a very lucky ram to have such a tank as his territory! Thanks for your time.

I just need to say my two cents. Yes certain fish species have certain characteristics but these characteristics can vary from individual fish. Currently I have for Rams in my tank to German blues into gold. The German blue Rams are definitely both males. And the golden Rams one is too juvenile for me to even attempt and the other one I think is a male but gold Rams are very hard to sex. I think it is a female but not really sure. They have been in the tank together for about 7 weeks and I have no major issues other than a little chasing here and there. I'm strongly thinking about adding two more either electric blue or blue Frost Rams but I will make sure they are both females. 55 standard heavily planted and rocks

Most reactions

trending

Back