Dumb Search Engine

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eatyourpeas

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well, maybe I had too much coffee, but I asked the big G to find similar images so I could identify the critter, and, well... a little out of scale, I'd say!

1608058998245.png
1608058968397.png

the worm is a planaria and the white specs are copepods (cyclops).

Now that's funny...lol. But the two images do resemble each other. And who knows in the microscopic universe may look almost just like the larger universe. A Tardigrade may look out her window and see a cell structure and thank, aren't the stars pretty out tonight...lol.

the worm is a planaria and the white specs are copepods (cyclops).
Not absolutily sure those are planaria, I mean I don't know anything about them but I wanted to learn so I have just looked them up and found the website with this image that shows what they look like compared to Rhabdocoela worm. That looks more like a Rhabdocoela then a planaria at least it does to me by looking at this image.

How to Identify and Kill Planaria The Easy Way (In Just Days!)

The pesky planarian is often confused with another flatworm, rhabdocoela. Rhabdocoela is similar in size and color to white planaria. However, when compared side by side, the differences become clear.

It’s all in the shape of the head…

Planarian vs rhabdocoela flatworm compared side by side

Now that's funny...lol. But the two images do resemble each other. And who knows in the microscopic universe may look almost just like the larger universe. A Tardigrade may look out her window and see a cell structure and thank, aren't the stars pretty out tonight...lol.
I would love to be able to have a tardigrade, or if I have it, be able to see it!

Have you got pictures of your shrimp?
How long have they been dying for?
Did you add anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before they started dying?
I assume the water quality is good and the tank and filter are cleaned regularly?

What are you using to treat the tank currently?

Not absolutily sure those are planaria, I mean I don't know anything about them but I wanted to learn so I have just looked them up and found the website with this image that shows what they look like compared to Rhabdocoela worm. That looks more like a Rhabdocoela then a planaria at least it does to me by looking at this image.
It could be the Rhabdocoela. A couple more pictures of the worm might provide more information on its head shape.

Have you got pictures of your shrimp?
How long have they been dying for?
Did you add anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before they started dying?
I assume the water quality is good and the tank and filter are cleaned regularly?

What are you using to treat the tank currently?
The pictures of the shrimp are in the post "The elusive Water Sausage". I thought my Kuhli loach was the culprit, and as of now am treating for planaria but am suspecting Myxosporea after seeing one die while looking cooked from the inside out. Nothing has been added to the tank except a change to San Francisco Bay Feeding Frenzy frozen food. GH is a bit low and I am treating that as well in case it is causing WROD. Deaths started occurring about two weeks ago.

Feeding Hikary Shrimp Cuisine, Hikari Crab Cuisine, Bloodworms (kuhli loach), organic blanched zucchini and spinach, Hikari First Bites, SFB Feeding Frenzy.

The head of the creature in question is definitely not arrow shaped but round. Hard to get better pictures since I only have my phone camera, but I have been watching carefully.

Tank gets 70% water change, substrate vacuum, filter cleaning once a week. 5 gallons.

Feeding every two days.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
pH: 7
KH: between 40 ppm and 80 ppm (API strips)
GH: 60 to 80 ppm
Last water change: Sunday 70% with gravel vacuum and sponge filter clean.
Temperature: 76F

Add salt to the tank to treat a microsporidian infection.

Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for at least 2 weeks and up to 4 weeks.

The salt won't affect fish, plants, shrimp, filter bacteria or snails.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back