Dumb question about using test kits

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
When you finish your testing, what do you do with the colored fishwater in the test tubes? Some of the bottles say corrosive so I hate to put it down my drains. I suppose once or twice wouldn't hurt but if someone has to test daily or even weekly that could easily add up. Do you take it outside and pour it out? Does that hurt the grass?

Also, how deadly toxic is this stuff? Obviously I won't let my kids touch it but if I get a drop on the floor that I didn't notice and someone steps on it with bare feet is that a concern (that's just an example btw. I suppose I could think of tons of scenarios :rolleyes: ) Or if the solution gets on my hands or on the floor while I'm doing the test (especially the one that you have to uncap and add more drops to)

i put mine down the sink, no problems
if you are worried about getting it on your hands, wear gloves. or if you are worried about getting it on the floor put some towels or something on the floor.
i dont know how much effect it could have on skin as i have never got any on my hands before...but i'm not about to try lol.
i dont think you need to worry too much about it
if it was really deadly i dont think they would be selling it in pet shops :)

My GCSE chemistry is a little bare now, but I think one of the chemicals involved in the nitrIte test is hydrochloric acid. :eek:
Essentially this is a very corrosive and harmful chemical, and will burn any living material upon contact, and probably your carpet too! :unsure:

However, in its strongets forms, you can only obtain it under licence (i think....) and when the mols are reduced so does the effect.

The strength of the versions in the test kits will be very weak as its only a small amount of water being tested - the result cards will be callibrated for this.
This weak amount wont melt your hands or burn holes in your carpet, but can certainly irritate you if left on your skin. :(

If you do get any on your skin wash them straight away - its best to do this after testing anyway - to avoid irritation or the chance of you getting it in your mouth when you eat later. Wearing gloves is certainly the best preventaitve method if you have sensitive or broken skin.

In addition to this, all of the chemicals in my kit (testing for pH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite) are listed and irritants and pathogens, so its best to be careful with them, and under no circumstances drink them! :lol:

P.S Pouring them down your sink shouldnt be too much of a prob - as soon as they get to the 'U' bend they'll become diluted to the point of almost being harmless.
Its certainly no worse than bleach in there. :look:

:sick: yeah i use liquid tests and trust me, i get some drops on my hands. as soon as ive done the tests i log the info on my pc, the other night whilst doing this loggin my hand started to irritate and where i had scrathced my side that irritated too. Washed them straight away and all is well.

then i tested last night and i chewed a nail later (again forgot to wash hands straight away), and man that dont taste nice at all :crazy:

still alive though, and i aint gonna make that mistake again. do the tests. Empty samples down the sink, with lots of water running to dilute and rinse out the tubes. then wash hands straight away, Then go log the info lol.

I doubt it's gonna corrode your drains, I've been tipping it down the sink for ages with no problems..

however you seriously need to wash your hands as soon as you're done, I've forgotten what chemicals are involved but I know one in the nitrAte test is cadmium. :blink: not something you want to eat!

Most reactions

Back