Dream Tank Build

I think all of that would cost a bit more than $1500.

Why would you put the return pump in the center chamber of your sump and not the refugium? If the refugium was in the middle you would get a bit of free water movement, plus you wouldn't have to pump water over to it which would give you higher flow rates our of your two returns.

You don't think two Vortech mp40's in a 75 Gal. is a bit much? I've never had one of these pumps before, but plan on getting at least one. From the videos I've seen, a single mp20 can produce very nice wave flow patterns throughout an entire 75 Gal. tank. So I was thinking of using one mp20 along with one or two of the Koralia 2 or 3's. Whats your opinion?

Also, when it comes to wave makers such as the red sea wave master pro and others like that, they are basically used to produce the same pulse/wave effects that the Vortechs can make alone, right?

Another thing I never understood was the point of the new "cone skimmers". Is there an logical and legitimate purpose for these, or is it just another fad that really has no logical reason for existing?
The only thing I could see the cone shape helping with is maybe pushing all the micro bubbles together, and since there is a smaller area, the bubbles can move up the neck faster.

Thanks guys,
Nick

I think all of that would cost a bit more than $1500.

Why would you put the return pump in the center chamber of your sump and not the refugium? If the refugium was in the middle you would get a bit of free water movement, plus you wouldn't have to pump water over to it which would give you higher flow rates our of your two returns.

You don't think two Vortech mp40's in a 75 Gal. is a bit much? I've never had one of these pumps before, but plan on getting at least one. From the videos I've seen, a single mp20 can produce very nice wave flow patterns throughout an entire 75 Gal. tank. So I was thinking of using one mp20 along with one or two of the Koralia 2 or 3's. Whats your opinion?

Also, when it comes to wave makers such as the red sea wave master pro and others like that, they are basically used to produce the same pulse/wave effects that the Vortechs can make alone, right?

Another thing I never understood was the point of the new "cone skimmers". Is there an logical and legitimate purpose for these, or is it just another fad that really has no logical reason for existing?
The only thing I could see the cone shape helping with is maybe pushing all the micro bubbles together, and since there is a smaller area, the bubbles can move up the neck faster.

Thanks guys,
Nick

I want to control the flow to the fuge. I'm going to run an eheim 1262 on my 75g. I don't want all that going flow going through the fuge since it's better to be a lower flow area. Just enough to tumble the cheato. I'm going to have reactors on my sump for carbon and gfo any way so I might just have them empty into my cheato area. And I could T off my return...we'll see. I'm set on having my sump set up in this fashion.

2 vortech's opposite eachother, especially when they are synced up is awesome!! An mp20 and a k3 would probably be fine.

Your statment on wavemakers and vortech's is correct. Vortech's are much better, imo.

I haven't read on why the cone's are better, but I'm sure there's a logical reason. Yours sounds like a good reason. Call one of the companies you are looking at buying from and ask them. Or google it.

Hmmm, I never thought to call any of the companies to ask questions.
Thanks a good idea. Thanks

I don't know if a vortech mp20 with a k3 would be enough flow by themselves, but with the return from the sump it should be alright. One of those Vortech's are pretty powerful!
Are you actually planning on setting up a 75 gal. tank currently? The way that your talking about it makes it seem that way, but as its in a topic meant for people to design 75 gal. tank, so I'm not sure.

Well everyone, I have a LOT of work todo! I have been working on the 6 gal nano I got over the weekend and am going to fill it up with water on monday.
I also am looking to start setting up the 75 gallon at the latest by the end of march, but probably sooner.
PLUS I am going to use the 30 gal. tank from my current reef to setup a freshwater tank.
So there will be plenty of new journals for you to follow.

Thanks,
Nick

here is my 75g rr tank. The painted side is facing out...so I took a pic from the side.

006.jpg

So yes, I'm planning on set it up. Later this year. Was going to be first until I got my awesome clownfish pair! A Platinum and a Sanjay's. Now I'm getting the 29g overflow/sump set up for them.

009-3.jpg

008-3.jpg

Ben,

Really, you would choose a T5 lighting system over Metal Halides or LED's?
Whats your reasoning?

The Vortechs are amazing pumps. Honestly with the $300 price tag, I would use 1 of them with a koralia pump as well.

George,

I know that the wall below me is still there as it is an outside wall made of brick. This is the wall that I plan on putting my tank up against, I like your idea of putting it in a corner, but if I was going to do that I would angle it to create a small space behind the tank.
Although I agree, it would SUCK if the tank fell threw the floor. Especially if the people were right under it. :crazy:

Maybe I should hire a structural engineer for his opinion?

Thanks,
Nick

i would go T5s on this tank because of the dimension, because its quite shallow (less than 2 foot deep) you will get good light penetration. you can chose a combination of bulbs to make the tank colour up how you like it. they are cooler and if you get an activly cooled unit with individual reflectors really powerful! ATI unit all the way

Yeah, I agree t5's or PC's would be adequate for this tank.
Personally, since I bought my first metal halide light back in november, I don't think I could have a tank without them.
Although I would be willing to use LED's if I could find a good quality and relatively cheap (around $300) system.

I am planning on having at least half of the corals as SPS, so I think using Halides or LEDs would really help me get the PAR ratings and growth I want for them.
Plus I LOVE the shimmering effect! It makes any tank look better by 10 fold.

KJ:

Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?
Did you actually get that clownfish from Sanjay?
Or it just came from him?

How much did you get that 75 gallon pre-drilled tank for?
That Fish Place seems nuts between the un drilled and drilled prices for the same size tanks.
For a 75 gal. 48x18x21 they want $120, which is perfectly reasonable to me.
What I don't understand is why they want an extra $90 for a hole in the glass and some plastic?
The 75 gal. 48x18x21 pre-drilled (reef-ready) tank is $210
Anyone know why they charge so much? Is this normal?

I talked to my landlord today and she said that many people have had tanks well over 100 gal. on the second floor of these apartments with no problems. So I think I should be good as long as I place it correctly.

I was looking at the 93 gallon cube (30x30x24) and really like the 30" depth, but again price is nuts.
For a normal 90 gallon tank, un drilled they only want $200
For a normal 90 gallon tank PRE-Drilled they want $250
Then for the 93 gallon cube 30x30x24 and un-drilled they want $320
Then for the 93 cube that is pre-drilled they want $400

Does this seem ridiculous to you guys?
For three extra gallons un-drilled to un-drilled they want an extra $120 bucks?!?
For three extra gallons pre-drilled to pre-drilled they want an extra $150 bucks?!?

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone new a cheaper place to get good aquariums.

Thanks guys,
Nick

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back