Dragonscale?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The more I look at this guy, the more I think he's dragonscale. Sometimes the scales don't seem big enough. I dunno...
tumblr_mtympdugYh1s0off3o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mtympdugYh1s0off3o3_1280.jpg
tumblr_mtympdugYh1s0off3o1_1280.jpg

These are pics from a couple of days ago because he has ich right now. I'm terrible with betta identification. Please ignore the fact that he now has 3 topics. I never get answers on my journals.

I'm by no means a Betta expert and I'm quite likely to be wrong, but from what I've seen of Dragonscales, yours isn't one.
I may be wrong though.

I didn't think so until now. I was just comparing him with my other male and his scales seemed so much more separate and clear. It's probably just his metallic colouring playing tricks with my mind. I've never really wanted a dragon-scale because of the issues they have, and I'm hoping to breed Cas so a 'no' is actually good!

His tail type is half-moon. I'm just not sure of his scale type. These pics show off his scales best, not his tail.

either way, dragon scale or not; looks like a really nice fish :)

FriendlyFriendlyFish said:
I't a bit hard to tell in the picture......he might be a double tail
Dragon scale can appear in all tail types.

He looks to me like a lovely metallic, if not dragon scale.

attibones said:

I't a bit hard to tell in the picture......he might be a double tail
Dragon scale can appear in all tail types.

He looks to me like a lovely metallic, if not dragon scale.

Cheers! I'm going to go with metallic, because then I can breed him without fear.

To me this fish does not look like a dragon scale, dragon scales have thicker scales and are a little more apperant, there is more covering over the fish, you just have a metallic Betta. He's still gorgeous, and about the tank type, even though this wasn't in the first question, I'm still going to address it, lol. To me he looks like a metallic black male with red wash

I'd agree it's not a dragonscale, I think his metallic coloration is just making his scales more apparent.
Gourgeous looking fish and good luck breeding him! :)

Thanks all! I bought a dragon-scale a few years ago when I didn't know what I was looking at. He was blind and I really struggled to look after him for about 6 months before he died. It broke my heart a bit, so I've been extremely wary of that scale type ever since. Cas is just so shiny! I've never had a metallic this shiny. Hopefully I'll eventually have lots of little Cas' ... with 100% sight.
thanks.gif

Def not dragonscale but there is a possibility of that trait being in his line though since he is so shiny.  So if you decide to breed him, I would stick with a female with little to no irr and/or one that has no dragon scale in her background if you know her background.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back