Dragon Fly Larvae In My Tank

LastBoy5cout

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Wiltshire
Have just come back of holiday and the good news is that my plants have exploded in my new tank but whilst gazing throuhg the galss saw what Im sure are dragon fly larvae, about 1 cm long and white with a three pronged tail.

Will these kill the fish I was hoping to put in later on?

Do I need to extract them?
 
The three pronged tail sounds like a damselfly larvae. Either way, I'd remove it, since dragonfly larvae feed on fish. Depending on what species live in your area, it might only be big enough to eat fry, and if they're damselflies, they mostly feed on aquatic insects (including each other if there's no other options), but best not to take chances. Pull them out as you can find them - they won't breed in this stage, so you'll get them all eventually.
 
Googling it and having had a look it does look like a damsel fly larvae.

Will try and fish it out, but I tried last night and was a bit bleary eyed and it gave me the right run around
 
Yes remove .... If food is scarce (as would be in your tank) any creature will resort to eating something outside of there usual diet such as trying to go for fish.

Alternatively if you have BIG fish they might find them to be a good meal.

However I would never recommend feeding bugs from the wild although they sound like they sprouted in your tank.

Hope it helps.
 
Thanks peeps

Sucked up three of the little blighters in the end, must of come in off the back of some plants.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top