Dp Help, Please.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Me and my girl friend jsut got a dp the other day, 4 days ago, and well, it passed on today. :(

Salt I used was "aquarium salt" is this any good?

I added 1 tablespoon per 5 US gallons of water. Is this good or do I need to purchase a hyrdometer?

Tank was not 100% cycled. Added mature filter media and did periodic water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite down below .25 ppm.

Temp is around 78 degrees F.

I am not sure of the current ammonia, nitrite or pH readings right now as I am not at my girlfirends house where the tank it.

The dp was also in a 2.5 US gallon tank. Is that too small?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

-FHM

Yes, 2.5 US gal far too small. While each dwarf puffer may only need 2-3 gallons of space per fish, you still need at least 10 US gallons just to create stable, easily-maintained living conditions.

There is no need to add salt to a dwarf puffer aquarium unless you're actively medicating, e.g., using salt/heat to treat for whitespot.

Cheers, Neale

When you mean "stable" living conditions, are you referring to ammonia and nitrite? Because I have had smaller tanks with perfect water conditions where the ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 ppm.

So, there is no need at all to add salt to a dp tank? Why is that advertised then? lol these fish are new to me and I just need to know everything there is to kow about them.

Thank you for your reply!

-FHM

When you mean "stable" living conditions, are you referring to ammonia and nitrite? Because I have had smaller tanks with perfect water conditions where the ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 ppm.
No, or at least, not just ammonia and nitrite. The bigger the water volume, the more slowly nitrate accumulates and the more slowly organic acids lower the pH. Water temperature changes more slowly as well. Overall, small tanks experience rapid changes, even if the filter manages to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero. Tanks less than 10 US gallons are basically useless for keeping fish, though a 5 US gallon tank might be used for bettas. I can't think of any experienced fishkeeper who recommends 2.5 gallon tanks for anything other than cut flowers.

So, there is no need at all to add salt to a dp tank? Why is that advertised then? lol these fish are new to me and I just need to know everything there is to kow about them.
Dwarf puffers come from freshwater streams. Salt is used therapeutically, but its precise usage is much misunderstood in the hobby; see here:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/SaltUseFWArtNeale.htm

Cheers, Neale

Very nice write-up!

So, do not add salt to the tank, then?

Thanks!!!!

-FHM

Okay, thanks.

So, when you mean as required do you mean add salt when setting up the tank or no? Just run the tank completey freshwater without any addition of salt?

-FHM

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back