What's new

Double birth

Ellie123

Reaction score
my platy gave birth earlier in the week and tonight so far she has just given birth to 2 more fry, is this normal?

Barry Tetra

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Some platies or mollies will keep some of theirfry until she feel safe.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I agree with others. Sometimes they can hold onto a few. Perhaps something startled her and stopped labor. She could have even gotten worn out in labor and stopped.

OP
Ellie123

Ellie123

Reaction score
Do you have a hiding spot for platy?
I have loads of plants for the platy to feel more secure in but when I spot the fry in the tank occasionally I will put them in the breeding trap however I have just over 10 in there and I’m very aware that I will run out of space x

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Do you have room for all these fry if most grow to adulthood? Not trying to rain on your parade :)I love fry but also had them take over tanks as they grew older and tanks get overcrowded. Not long ago I had to give my bother-in-law my red eye tetras because they went from 5 to 17 in 3 months and were starting to crowd out the other fish in my tank. Just something to think about and plan for. Enjoy your fry and fish:fish:

OP
Ellie123

Ellie123

Reaction score
Do you have room for all these fry if most grow to adulthood? Not trying to rain on your parade :)I love fry but also had them take over tanks as they grew older and tanks get overcrowded. Not long ago I had to give my bother-in-law my red eye tetras because they went from 5 to 17 in 3 months and were starting to crowd out the other fish in my tank. Just something to think about and plan for. Enjoy your fry and fish:fish:
I do have enough room for these however I also know that I don’t want my tank to become overcrowded, I plan on giving some of these away once they are big enough

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days