Don't You Just Love Busybodies?!

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Donā€™t you just love know it all people who donā€™t listen?

We were out at the weekend walking my boyfriends parents dog; he is a lurcher and a HUGE one at that. We were walking along with him and some busybody comes along and tells usā€¦

Busybody: you should get our greyhound on the track
Us: he is a lurcher
Busybody: no he isnā€™t
Us: yes he is, heā€™s just really big
Busybody: no he isnā€™t heā€™s a 27ā€ greyhound
Us: Err no heā€™s a lurcher *Walks away frustrated*

I just wish sometimes people would mind their own business instead of telling us we are stupid.

This happened recently with me too.
A woman came up and said what a nice beagle I was walking. It was a caviler king charles spaniel *facepalm*

Should have told them he's been banned from the track for drug use LOL Nah on second thoughts then you'd just get a lecture.

People like that I just have to walk away from. There was someone telling us our rotweiller was 4 months old, I said no, she was 2years old but she's very small, he said I'll give you my number and when she's 2yrs I'll breed her with my dog, I said again that she is 2years old, just small, wouldn't breed her because she is small and that we'd had the dog for 2years and we got her when she was a pup. Then he said "you must be mistaken in how long you've had her"
I opened my mouth in shock and we walked off.

Further on up the river this drunk fella was saying to me how he hadn't seen my in 5 years. Said we used to go drinking all the time. (I haven't had a single drink in 10 years and I was never drinking where he was talking about)
Again, I had to walk on.

I turned to my girlfriend as she said "it must be a day for them"

there is a chap that lives a few doors down from me who is one of 'those'

when we first moved in he used to stop parcels from being delivered to my house by telling the delivery people that i wasnt in (i always get things delivered on my day of for obvious reasons). He would the post a letter through the door saying he had my parcel and would have to go around to get it. 6 times this happened until i told him that if he did it again i was going to be a trifle angry with him.

so a few months pass and he knocks on my door and tells me that my bush is to big and i need to cut it, this may be the case, the bush is fairly big but it is totally on my property.... once again i inform him to stop being a mug.

the most recent is some kids have kicked the render off the back of my wall that will now need repairing, so he stops my partner in the street and tells her i have to repair it now and she should sweep up the mess made, she says that she cant as she is due to sprog in a few months and cant get down, he says that she is to fat then and has a go at her almost bringing her to tears. luckily angry baby hormones are in her blood so she doesnt.... next time i see him i am gonna have a polite word with the back of my hand i think.

there is a chap that lives a few doors down from me who is one of 'those'

when we first moved in he used to stop parcels from being delivered to my house by telling the delivery people that i wasnt in (i always get things delivered on my day of for obvious reasons). He would the post a letter through the door saying he had my parcel and would have to go around to get it. 6 times this happened until i told him that if he did it again i was going to be a trifle angry with him.

so a few months pass and he knocks on my door and tells me that my bush is to big and i need to cut it, this may be the case, the bush is fairly big but it is totally on my property.... once again i inform him to stop being a mug.

the most recent is some kids have kicked the render off the back of my wall that will now need repairing, so he stops my partner in the street and tells her i have to repair it now and she should sweep up the mess made, she says that she cant as she is due to sprog in a few months and cant get down, he says that she is to fat then and has a go at her almost bringing her to tears. luckily angry baby hormones are in her blood so she doesnt.... next time i see him i am gonna have a polite word with the back of my hand i think.

Sounds like you have a live one there. How rude can you be about telling a pregnant woman she's fat? I have a neighbor over the back from my place who is always (when he catches me down at my goldfish pond) asking if I have seen any snakes, as he just saw another 8ft brown snake. So far in my yard I have only come across 1 dead tree snake (I think a weed eater got it) and one childrens python (which I relocated-alive, from my avairy after it ate my 2 breeding canaries) and thankfully no browns. But I suspect that this bloke see's every snake as a brown, maybe he is trying to be helpful but honestly I get sick to the eye teeth hearing about all these susposide snakes and feel like telling him "well stop chucking all your old bird seed in the backyard and then you wont have a mouse problem and the snakes wont hang aroung" but I fear that type of common sense will fall on deaf ears.

We have a lot of people like that around here. We were walking our rotties on the beach (both on leads) and 2 Jack Russels came up and started snarling at them. Our dogs just looked bemused and watched them. The owner then came running up and said 'keep your dogs under control' ... as she put the leads on hers!

In our village there are 2 proper busybodies. If someone new comes into the village, she goes over and tells them how horrible everybody is in the village. She then goes to everybody else's houses and tells us how horrible the new people are. I don't think that she's realised that nobody listens to her any more. And when a new Vicar came to our church she said that if he changed anything that everybody would walk out.

And the other woman campaigned to have our speed limit lowered for 'pedestrians safety'. Turns out she just wanted easier access to her drive with her horse box. If she is so bothered about the safety of pedestrians then why does she pile up bags of horse manure for sale right across the path.

She reported a neighbour for having some temporary stables in his field without planning because they were ugly (even though it was only visible from my house unless you went into the field.

And we were reported (by another neighbour) when our dog dug under the fence and wandered down the road for 30 seconds before we caught her.

One of my mums friends who lives in our village said that you have to live in the village for 25 years before you are accepted - I think it's nearer 50 lol.

cheers :good:

When I worked at a petstore I got this several times a shift. I was no expert on many things, sure, but when I didn't know something then I didn't make anything up- I just told them I didn't know and sometimes we'd even go and look at a book together and both learn. So, I got really annoyed the few times a month when a customer would interrupt me talking with a customer and start spewing nonsense to contradict me. Usually it was about betta fish or goldfish (where everyone seemed to think they are an expert) and they would try to dismiss my concerns about their tanks not being big enough or otherwise unsuitable.

What I couldn't understand was, even if you think a goldfish is happy in a bowl, you must know that it wouldn't be less happy in a nice big tank (or not in their home at all). So why would you intervene to tell them that their bowl is just fine? Ultimately they may stick with the bowl, but why would you be so passionate about making sure that they don't provide a bigger home? It's not like I was trying to sell them a bunch of useless accessories - it was a tank! The very most basic starting point.

I also get it a lot with my dogs. My Chihuahua is a tricolour and has thicker fur than many short haired Chihuahuas, so I've had people try to tell me that he must be mixed with a husky, or doberman, or german shepherd or other ridiculous breeds. My Chihuahua is all of 6lb and I met his very Chihuahua-y parents... how you could throw some 50lb+ breed into there with no other similar traits just doesn't compute. Not to mention that tricolour Chihuahuas aren't even that rare. I've also had people dispute the age of my Italian Greyhound because she is pretty tiny, and I've had people tell me that Italian Greyhounds aren't a real breed- that they are just mini Whippets. I tell them to go home and spend five seconds on Google.

ETA: I just wanted to mention that I love reading some of the slang and vocabulary on here that I would never otherwise hear in Canada. I feel like I am being cultured, I love the exposure. Three cheers for the internet!

Speaking of dogs and other people thinking they are such experts reminds me not only of all the times people see my Staffy and label him a pitbull, friendliest darn pitbull I have ever come across, but also a self styled expert who was inspecting my brother in law and sisters new pup. Now the pup had a pure staffy mum and a staffy x Australian Cattle dog father, and the pups markings were very much like a mastiff. Anyway this 'expert' kept rubbing the pups fur up the wrong way along his spine and informed my sister that it was a ridge back -"because I can feel the ridge" - ah hello, it's called a spine! She then went on with some clap trap about ridge backs having a pronounced back bone or something when in actual fact its just the hair that grows the opposite way making the ridge. This same woman went on to look at the pups teeth and informed my sister that the pup had milk worms, when in actual fact it still only had all its milk teeth. But the absolute icing on the cake came when she was telling us about her exploits at dog obedience (something that I really enjoy and have done advanced), and how the only trouble she had with her dog was getting it to jump through a fire hoop.....ummm me thinks she was getting confused with her days in the circus.

I used to volunteer at a local tourist attraction and one day some people came in had a look around and wanted to know what all the yellow flowering crops in the paddocks were. I knew it wasn't sunflower season and I also found out which road they had used to get into the town and told them the paddocks were actaully full of a certian weed. They refused to believe me and argued the point even after I described the weed perfectly to them. The up shot was I got in trouble from the manager of the tourist attraction for arguing with customers, and wouldn't listen to me when I told her I was telling them the truth which they had asked for. And then to make matters worse one time I wasn't 100% sure about something some visitors had asked about so I told them truthfully I wasn't sure, and the same manager turned around and told me I should have made something up. Talk about can't win! Needless to say it was a happy day when I was able to tell the manager of the tourist place I wouldn't be in any more as I had a job.

I also get it a lot with my dogs. My Chihuahua is a tricolour and has thicker fur than many short haired Chihuahuas, so I've had people try to tell me that he must be mixed with a husky, or doberman, or german shepherd or other ridiculous breeds. My Chihuahua is all of 6lb and I met his very Chihuahua-y parents... how you could throw some 50lb+ breed into there with no other similar traits just doesn't compute. Not to mention that tricolour Chihuahuas aren't even that rare. I've also had people dispute the age of my Italian Greyhound because she is pretty tiny, and I've had people tell me that Italian Greyhounds aren't a real breed- that they are just mini Whippets. I tell them to go home and spend five seconds on Google.

ETA: I just wanted to mention that I love reading some of the slang and vocabulary on here that I would never otherwise hear in Canada. I feel like I am being cultured, I love the exposure. Three cheers for the internet!

How stupid is that! I'm now imagining a german shepherd and a chihauhau in "that situation".... :lol:

Some people are just stupid!

Most reactions

Back