Doing A Partial Water Change

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mammabe1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am very happy to be part of this awesome website and one day will be able to dish out some advice myself... Until then, I have a question for you experts! This may sound like a dumb question but here goes anyway...

I started a 75 gallon tank with Mollies and already have some extended family! haha... I also have a 35 gallon tank with fancy goldfish too and when I do a partial water change on that tank, I always take out the few Goldies, put them in a holding tank (little 5 gallon) and do the water change the put them back in... however, with the 75 gallon, it won't be so easy, with about 10 mollies, and who knows for sure how many babies, plus 2 frogs, a pleco, 2 loaches....I think it would be more stressfull for them all if I was trying to catch them all....

So....would you recommend I do the water change while they are all still in the tank? Or what would you sugest?

Thanks all - I look forward to your reply cuz I gotta do this water change this weekend!

Mammabe

Yes we all water change with the fish inside the tank it's absolutely fine. Just make sure the water you add back is at roughly the same temp as the tank water. I just tell by touh really. It's probably way more stressful for them being taken out and out back in.

From what i know so far it should be fine to do the change with the fish still in the tank. ^_^

Yes we all water change with the fish inside the tank it's absolutely fine. Just make sure the water you add back is at roughly the same temp as the tank water. I just tell by touh really. It's probably way more stressful for them being taken out and out back in.

I never thought of it as being stressfull for my Goldies but I do it that way because I use a big bucket so when I dump the bucket of water in the tank, I am not creating a whirlpool or whatever for the fish.... I am not going to do it that way for the 75 gallon though, which is why I posted, I will leave the fish in the tank when I do the big one.

Thanks!

Get a brand new garden hose, and an attachment for the tap that will allow you to connect the hose directly to the tap. This is the easiest way to refill.

For taking water out, I have a length of hose, with an attachment that allows me to connect that same hose for emptying... just be careful not to get anything unwanted in the tube - otherwise it will end up in the garden. :sad:

Yes, as marie said; we all change water with our fish in the tanks. As long as you leave enough water for the fish to swim upright, and the new water is warmed and dechlorinted it's far less stressful for the fish to leave them in.

Maybe do more frequent smaller changes for a few weeks until the fish get used to it; they soon will! My tiger barbs nibble my arms while I'm changing their water, and my green neons like to scare me by trying to swim up the gravel syphon ;)

I do it that way because I use a big bucket so when I dump the bucket of water in the tank, I am not creating a whirlpool or whatever for the fish..

In that case, stand a jug or bowl in the tank and pour into that; I pour the new water over my hand to break the flow up a bit :)

In that case, stand a jug or bowl in the tank and pour into that; I pour the new water over my hand to break the flow up a bit :)

I do this too and it works good. Even pouring it slowly onto a wee bit of bog wood also works.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I do this too and it works good. Even pouring it slowly onto a wee bit of bog wood also works.
Yes! I've got a couple of tanks where I've deliberately put a nice flat rock or something where I know I'll be pouring the water in :)

Yes! I've got a couple of tanks where I've deliberately put a nice flat rock or something where I know I'll be pouring the water in :)

My girlfriend decided she wanted to clean out the goldfish tank one day. I walked into the room she was in and there she was, hoofing buckets of water back into the tank. I had to clean the filter twice that evening as there was that much in it. You couldn't see the back of the tank all evening. Needless to say, the siphon is hid from her now.

Yes, as marie said; we all change water with our fish in the tanks. As long as you leave enough water for the fish to swim upright, and the new water is warmed and dechlorinted it's far less stressful for the fish to leave them in.

Maybe do more frequent smaller changes for a few weeks until the fish get used to it; they soon will! My tiger barbs nibble my arms while I'm changing their water, and my green neons like to scare me by trying to swim up the gravel syphon ;)

I do it that way because I use a big bucket so when I dump the bucket of water in the tank, I am not creating a whirlpool or whatever for the fish..

That's a good idea! I will try that... as for the garden hose - how can you use it to put water back in? don't you have to de-chlorinate the water first? I do have a siphon to get some water out and I was thinking of siphoning it back in? lol Maybe I'll stick with the bucket. haha. Thanks for all your replies! :nod:

If you're refilling through a hose, you just add enough dechlorinator for the whole tank before you start filling up. You can syphon back in if you have somewhere high enough to stand the bucket (Oldman puts a plank of wood across the top of his tank for that)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back