Does temp matter when I fishless cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, today I added liquid ammonia to my tank but after reading the steps for the next days of the cycle they said that a heater would be recommended I have one ordered but it won’t be here for a week my tank sits at 65f should I drain it and wait or continue?

Someone might chime in but I am pretty sure warmer water will help

I cycled my tank with Dr. Tims last year and it worked great

Do not drain your tank. Increasing the temperature will increase that metabolism of the bacteria, meaning they will multiply more rapidly. The bacteria have already begun to multiply, just at a slower rate. Draining the tank would mean starting from scratch.

The ‘optimum’ temperature for the bacteria involved is around 30C (86F). At 18C (65F), their growth and metabolism are literally halved, so the cycling will take twice as long.

Definitely get a heater, and raise the temp, as advised above...the beneficial bacteria will multiply much more quickly at warmer temps

Warmer water holds less oxygen, though...the BB need oxygen...get a bubbler going in the tank, to increase surface agitation and aid in gas exchange at the surface

Hello, today I added liquid ammonia to my tank but after reading the steps for the next days of the cycle they said that a heater would be recommended I have one ordered but it won’t be here for a week my tank sits at 65f should I drain it and wait or continue?
Hello joey. That's a good question. I cycled my first tank with some female Guppies. I wouldn't think a heater would be necessary. Oxygen is the most important thing for the bacteria and cooler water holds onto oxygen better than warmer water. I'd say that 65 degrees is warm enough. Just my opinion, though.

10 Tanks

From our fishless cycling method -

• An optimal temperature by having a heater set to between 75F and 85F (24C and 29C). Lower tends to slow the cycle while higher won’t make things go even faster.

Leave the tank alone while waiting for the heater unless the test results are at points where you are supposed to act.

All that is happening now is that your cycle is moving slower it has not stopped. Changing water adding chemicals etc. will not help and can hurt.

Perhaps the most important thing to have when cycling is patience ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back