Does Substrate Colour Affect Fish Colour

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The above poster is correct, fish do change their colour relative to the substrate below them to make them less visible to predators.

Mine have gone the opposite way. Bolivians Rams had intense pinks and oranges on the old black gravel, look bleached on the new white sand.

Mine have gone the opposite way. Bolivians Rams had intense pinks and oranges on the old black gravel, look bleached on the new white sand.

When I picked mine up they was so pale. Since having them in my tank thats quite planted now with dark backgrounds and black gravel the colour on them now is amazing. Want to add another two but don't know if I have the room or they will fight :unsure:

When I picked mine up they was so pale. Since having them in my tank thats quite planted now with dark backgrounds and black gravel the colour on them now is amazing. Want to add another two but don't know if I have the room or they will fight :unsure:

I say go for it, if they don't work out i will swap you a male and female adult BN?

I am IN LOVE :wub: with your tank!!!

Thankyou very much, means alot. :)

I say go for it, if they don't work out i will swap you a male and female adult BN?

I am IN LOVE :wub: with your tank!!!

Thankyou very much, means alot. :)

How do you get the moss to stick to the wood? I would like to do something similar but i am unsure how. i am putting together a fully planted 10gallon Betta tank

Mine is ties on with black cotton. Other people super glue it with good results too. You innevitably get the odd bit float off it, but i just catch these and tie them to another piece.

the colour has definitely changed in the OPs 2 photos, for the better! the large black spot is solid and the red is reder... no question (and not because of illusion of the surrounding parts.

My bolivians show off some amazing red finnage at the moment and im on Argos play sand, very light.

I find that, the closer to the sand my fish go, the less colour they show, but its not because of the substrate as Ive taken photos at all levels of the tank and it picks up the colour the same in all. But to the eye a dark substrate will just make the fish stand out more, where as the light substrate reflects the light back up and onto the fish.

Fish looks great regardless :good:

Does seem more colourful against the dark

Most reactions

Back