Does Stress Coat Remove Heavy Metals?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Is the Fluval Water conditioner safe for fish and good for detoxifying heavy metals? View attachment 306692

The label says it deals with heavy metals (hard to see, but I think it uses the word "neutralizes," which tells us nothing of course). I would not use this conditioner because it mentions "herbal extracts," and there is again no scientific proof of any benefit from these, and they may be harmful, who knows.

Herbal extracts, aloe vera - they sell. Hopefully, they are in homeopathic concentrations and do nothing. But the info is not clear.

You are clearly very concerned about these issues, and while I know and respect people like @Byron answering you, I think it is important for you to take a minute and go online for a look at product specs you find. Read them clearly and look at the overview. If you find a product that doesn't list ingredients you can google, then don't use it.

Lead in city water is standard, due to old lead pipes. You might also look up the levels in the report you have ansd see how toxic they are for fish. Then you can probably move forward and set your mind at ease.

This is the water conditioner I use. It contains 2 ingredients, thiosulfate to remove chlorine and EDTA to bind metals. No aloe vera or herbal extracts or anything else to "stimulate the slime coat"

If a website gives it, the product safety data sheet often says what's in it, but many products now don't as the composition is a trade secret.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back