Does Stress Coat Remove Heavy Metals?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I had a question, does API stress coat remove or detoxify heavy metals? Heavy metals such as lead, zinc, copper, aluminum, or etc. Does API detoxify or remove those types of heavy metals?

Hi, I had a question, does API stress coat remove or detoxify heavy metals? Heavy metals such as lead, zinc, copper, aluminum, or etc. Does API detoxify or remove those types of heavy metals?
Studies of farmed fish show aloe vera coat the gills and damages them.
You don't need this product. All you need is a conditioner to neutralize chlorine/chloramine.

Studies of farmed fish show aloe vera coat the gills and damages them.
You don't need this product. All you need is a conditioner to neutralize chlorine/chloramine.
can the product still detoxify heavy metals like lead???

can the product still detoxify heavy metals like lead???
It should but I think you have to dose extra for that... I believe thats what it says on the bottle

The safety data sheet for Stress Coat doesn't say what's in it ["The specific chemical identity and/or exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret."] but if it is the same as their other products it is likely to contain EDTA. This forms complexes with metal ions, effectively removing the ions from the water. The metals are actually still there, just bound in a form where they can't harm fish or inverts.

From API's website (my bold text)
API® STRESS COAT water conditioner makes tap water safe for fish by removing chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals from tap water
The manufacturer's website should always be the first place to look :)

Most conditioners will "detoxify" heavy metals, but the important thing is how and for how long. Prime for example uses a specific chemical to detoxify heavy metals, and this detoxification is not permanent; Prime becomes ineffective in about 36 hours according to Seachem, and the heavy metals are presumably still there. There is another issue concerning plants. The chemical in Prime, according to Seachem, prevents plants from taking up the heavy metals which are nutrients, such as iron, copper, zinc, manganese. Prime will thus also "detoxify" these in plant additives like Flourish.

By contrast, API's Tap Water Conditioner will "detoxify" heavy metals but this product allows plants to be able to use the nutrients. This is far superior for the fish and the plants.

I have no idea how StressCoat does this "detoxification," but the aloe vera issue another member mentioned is reason enough not to use this product.

Most conditioners will "detoxify" heavy metals, but the important thing is how and for how long. Prime for example uses a specific chemical to detoxify heavy metals, and this detoxification is not permanent; Prime becomes ineffective in about 36 hours according to Seachem, and the heavy metals are presumably still there. There is another issue concerning plants. The chemical in Prime, according to Seachem, prevents plants from taking up the heavy metals which are nutrients, such as iron, copper, zinc, manganese. Prime will thus also "detoxify" these in plant additives like Flourish.

By contrast, API's Tap Water Conditioner will "detoxify" heavy metals but this product allows plants to be able to use the nutrients. This is far superior for the fish and the plants.

I have no idea how StressCoat does this "detoxification," but the aloe vera issue another member mentioned is reason enough not to use this product.
That's very useful information. I didn't know that prime will prevent plants from taking in heavy metals. That's good to know.

So are you fully sure that Seachem Prime does detoxify heavy metals right? The Seachem Prime brings the heavy metals into a type of form, where that heavy metal can not harm the fish for 36 hours, and that heavy metal becomes harmless because of Seachem Prime? Am I correct? Is this what you’re trying to say? Can Seachem Prime bring the heavy metals into a harmless form temporalilly?

So are you fully sure that Seachem Prime does detoxify heavy metals right? The Seachem Prime brings the heavy metals into a type of form, where that heavy metal can not harm the fish for 36 hours, and that heavy metal becomes harmless because of Seachem Prime? Am I correct? Is this what you’re trying to say? Can Seachem Prime bring the heavy metals into a harmless form temporalilly?

That is Seachem's claim.

Ok, and also is Stress Coat Safe for fish to use? And can API STRESSCOAT detoxify the heavy metals? Like lead??
No. Don't use stress coat. The Aloe Vera in there IS NOT good for them

Ok, and also is Stress Coat Safe for fish to use? And can API STRESSCOAT detoxify the heavy metals? Like lead??

We can only go by what manufacturers' claim on the label. I very much doubt that any conditioner will remove (in any way) heavy metals permanently.

I do not consider StressCoat safe for fish because it contains aloe vera which has no benefit for fish that has ever been proven, and it is definitely a risk because studies have shown aloe vera to harm fish gills. And before someone says it, it does not matter about how much or what fish, the fact that aloe vera is scientifically proven to harm fish is enough for us not to use it.

We can only go by what manufacturers' claim on the label. I very much doubt that any conditioner will remove (in any way) heavy metals permanently.

I do not consider StressCoat safe for fish because it contains aloe vera which has no benefit for fish that has ever been proven, and it is definitely a risk because studies have shown aloe vera to harm fish gills. And before someone says it, it does not matter about how much or what fish, the fact that aloe vera is scientifically proven to harm fish is enough for us not to use it.
Is the Fluval Water conditioner safe for fish and good for detoxifying heavy metals?
1670264646895.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back