Does Gravel Cleaning Kill Loads Of Bacteria?

kreacher

New Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok, I when i do water changes on the tanks I use a gravel cleaner and clean all the gravel out while i'm there. When i do this i do leave the media in the filter alone but I want to be sure i'm not losing say half of the tanks bacteria.

How much bacteria would be in the gravel? I do get LOADS of dirt out of the gravel as some tanks are over stocked as i have to take fish in and move them on from time to time. This is why i clean the gravel every week but would I be better to only clean say one a month or could the dirt in the gravel be just as bad leaving it there? Would i be better to clean half every week or something?

A little help on this would be great.

The filter is not a undergravel filter but a big sump to handle the tanks. I do all the cleaning on the filter right and only wash half at a time in the tanks water about one a month.
 
Only a little bit will be in your gravel most of it is in your filter, nothing to worry about. I'd carry on with your weekly cleans.
 
i clean my tank witha hoover every week. i suppose it would remove some of the bacteria but it will get rid of all the ammonia and nitrates that come from leftover food and waste so i would carry on
 
You'll probably lose a little bacteria, but if it's a toss-up between losing a little but getting all the cack out of the gravel, it's no contest. Most of it is in the filter, anyway.
 
Ok great, the filter is a big a so there will be quite a lot of bacteria in it.
 
There is minimal nitrifying bacteria in the gravel of a tank that is not running ugf. The nitrifying bacteria that is in the gravel is more firmly attached than you think.

Try this; on a mature tank, especially one without snails or plecs, you will feel a slick film on the decorations, and on the glass. This is a bio film, mainly nitrifying bacteria in a thin layer. Try using your vac to remove this without scraping. It's almost impossible.

This is how firmly the nitrifying bacteria is attached to the substrate, or your filter media. In a mature tank your nitrifying bacteria is capable of doubling every 24 hours, so even if you lost a little, the minimal loss will be quickly compensated for.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top