Does carbon affect my plants

FrAnK3333

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I just bought a H.O.T. Magaum canetser filter which has the choice for carbon filtration, will this kill my plants?

FrAnK3333 said:
I just bought a H.O.T. Magaum canetser filter which has the choice for carbon filtration, will this kill my plants?
No, but it probably won't help either.

No harm, but it may neutralize trace elements that would have been good for them. Best to not use it, IMO, unless you have a specific reason to.

The carbon needs to be changed after a month anyway !!! It becomes ineffective after that.

EDIT: It does absorb trace elements that plants need. But it should not affect them too much (probably slow down their growth). If you have a heavily planted tank then it could make a difference.

i have to us becuase tank starting to smell and its in my room so.......the plants i have are in my sig.. :)

You should look at the root cause of the smell....

A water change should get rid of the smell. If its a stale water kind of smell then its normal. Excess algae can cause a stronger smell. If its a bad smell like that of rotten eggs you are probably overfeeding.

And yes, using carbon should get rid of the smell (temporarily)

A well looked after tank shouldn't smell bad. Find out what causing the smell and rectify it.

You should look at the root cause of the smell....

I agree; healthy tank has virtually no smell. There's something wrong there. If it smells like fish, then it's most likely that your fish are under stress. Other smell are often caused by decomposition under anaerobic condition.

Most reactions

Back