Does Anyone Know These Fish?

l.michelle

Fishaholic
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
566
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Basicially, I saw an ad for a 72 gallon bow front tank and stand for sale for 700$. So I emailed the guy and asked what fish he had in there, and what they died of (i don't want a tank that had bad diseases). I only assumed he was just selling the tank, as that was the ad was for.

I got his response, but I have never heard of these fish, and trying to google them came up with nothing, except the flower horns.:

hi,i have two flower horn
1 big tasax
1 jaguard
all the fish still inside the tank,i live in toronto ,close western rd and st clair ave
my contact number is 416-***-****,if you want come to see ,please let me know
thank you
 
yeah that would be my guess too, flowerhorns, texas's and jaguar's are all med-large cichlids, you'll find plenty of info in the new world cichlid forum :good:
 
Thanks! If I want this tank, and these fish I will have to do some reading. I have never kept these fish before. The ad said nothing about it coming with fish lol.
 
Sounds to me the fish are still in the tank, which could be a problem as due to the eventual size and aggression of these fish you would either have to rehome them or buy a much bigger tank very soon.

Like others said, its probably a typo from the owner where they meant to say jaguar and texas cichlids. Really the only fish you should have in there are a texas (could get away with a pair depending on dimensions - with no tank mates). The jaguar and flowerhorns will need a bigger tank.

EDIT: Just read your above post, in brief all the fish there are aggressive cichlids.
Male jags can reach around 16" (females abit smaller)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=9

Texas cichlids, depending on species males can reach 12" (females smaller)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=43 - cyanoguttatus
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=41 - carpintis (often called green texas)
 
Agree With Shroob, All the fish in that tank:
2 FlowerHorns - Very Agressive and if they are a Pair - then be prepared for War with the other tankmates.
1 Big Texas - Again Very Aggressive
1 Jaguar - Again Very Aggressive

Depending on what size they are ATM they will need a Biiiig Tank Soon. If the Flowerhorns were to breed with any of the fish, you would get some very interesting looking fish.
 
lol GAH this seems to be a bigger problem than I had intended! How would I go about giving these fish away? Are they easier to give to people, I mean, does there seem to be enough people interested in this type of fish to make sure they go to good homes?

I wanted to convert the tank to saltwater lol.
 
I would say you might have difficulty giving them away, depending on your location . With flowerhorns it can be hit and miss, with good quality ones it shouldn't be a problem but with low grade 'petsmart' flowerhorns you may have trouble, especially when you take into consideration the size of tank they need.

If you're lucky your LFS may take them off your hands, but don't expect good money for them.

Your best bet I would think to make sure they go to reasonable homes is to take a few pictures of them, put ad in fishkeeping forums like this one and your local aquarist societies and offer them free to a good home.

Where abouts are you, if you're in america you could try craiglist or similar, in england where I'm from I think pretty much everywhere has free adds that you can put adverts in, but the trouble with these is you don't really know the homes they are going to, atleast with fish forums and societies you have some idea the people will be responcible owners.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top