Do You Turn Any Powerheads Off At Night?

connorsbala

Leader Of The Seahorse's!
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone turns a powerhead or filter off at night and then back in the morning to help the fish relax at night? Only reason I ask is as my hydor koralia 1 is very noisy and if I could turn it off at night that'd be good :) I'd still leave my external filter running, air pumps and my ofer powerhead

I was just wondering if anyone turns a powerhead or filter off at night and then back in the morning to help the fish relax at night? Only reason I ask is as my hydor koralia 1 is very noisy and if I could turn it off at night that'd be good :) I'd still leave my external filter running, air pumps and my ofer powerhead
NO!!! otherwise you will loose bacteria, did you buy your koralia 1 in the past 6 months? if so email hydor and ask them for a set of washers, there was a batch sent out without them and they rattle like hell!

I do not see how turning off a powerhead will lead to bacteria dying????

Edit: I did not realise that I said filter aswell as powerhead...I'd never leave a filter turnt off for a long period of time

I do not see how turning off a powerhead will lead to bacteria dying????

Edit: I did not realise that I said filter aswell as powerhead...I'd never leave a filter turnt off for a long period of time
the power heads provide water movement, for the live rock, if it stops moving it starves and dies!

His water will not stop moving if he has an external and other powerheads running. Just to point out though in the big bad ocean things rage day and night so the fish are built for turmoil and will 'relax' when the light goes out. They always feel safer in the dark as they can hide in the shadows.
I suggest if you want to turn it off, give it a trial and see what happens to the water chemistry. CAUTION though as tank inhabitants may die if the ammonia spikes.

Just of interest: what size tank is this? What inhabitants does it house? What other powerheads do you have? What is the rating of the external???

Regards

I run 24/7

There is some discussion about reducing flow at night - You can get a photo cell for some Tunze streams that reduces flow at night

Personally I'm not convinced

I'm a flash git,
I have a Tunze 6055 on a single controller with a photocell. The photocell knocks the pump down to slow mode when the lights go off.
Regards
C

Most reactions

Back