Do You Own An Ipad?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am thinking of treating myself to an iPad and would therefore appreciate your assistance.  I would mainly like to use it for managing photos and videos, plus of course surfing TFF etc ;)

1. I know I would like the standard and not the mini plus Wi-Fi, but are the extra benefits of 3G worth the extra cost?
  2. Anything else I should know, as just starting my research into understanding the iPad?
  3. Can you tell me which model you have and why you purchased that model please?

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips ...

Hey RCA, I post from my iPad loads, it's really useful and you can take it anywhere quite easily. I have the iPad One without 3G, it suits me just fine. I don't really take it outside the house, plus I just use my Mum's iPhone 5 with all-you-can-eat data ;D

Tek oot.

Thanks TekFish, how much memory do you have on yours please?

iPads are nothing but a non cheap brand name like brand clothes or watches.

I suggest looking at android makes with the same power/SD Storage.

I am on my 5th iPad, this time the mini. I love them and would never be without mine.

1st - iPad 1, wifi only- sold as wanted 3G
2nd - iPad 1, 3G - sold as upgraded to iPad 2
3rd - iPad 2, 3G - sold as upgraded to new iPad (3)
4th - new iPad (3) wifi only - sold as downgraded to mini
5th - ipad mini 16GB wifi only

I love the mini for the size - it fits into my bike jacket pocket so I don't need to carry a rucksack when on my bike just for transporting the iPad around. The mini does not have the retina display yet though, which is a huge negative compared to my last iPad. As soon as they bring out an iPad min with retina display I'll get that and sell my current one.

I have had the 3G ones before, but didn't feel it necessary this time to spend the extra £100 initially and £10 or whatever a month. Most public places these days have free wifi, and when I'm in the office at lunchtime I can use my iPhone as a personal hotspot, so no need for 3G on the iPad.

I mainly use mine for reading The Times, reading books on the Kindle app, and the internet. I use it a lot when out and about, plus at home when I'm in the basement or in bed - probably on average 2 hours a day! I love it!

Not really true, since the operating system is unique to the iPad, and that's why I use an iPad 2 as my personal tablet, though recently I've been leaning towards a Windows 8 convertible such as the Dell XPS 12. iOS is considerably easier to use and comparatively uncluttered than the various flavours of Android. My grandmother can use her iPad despite the fact she can't turn on a PC or use a mouse, and that speaks volumes. Yes, it is more limited than an Android or Windows tablet in terms of many things but for an average user, everything just works.

I know I would like the standard and not the mini plus Wi-Fi, but are the extra benefits of 3G worth the extra cost?

Depends if you will be using it at home or not. Wifi only works for home use or if you frequent places with WiFi - such as universities or McDonalds. I travel internationally a lot, so I need the 3G then, but to be honest nearly every other time on Wifi. You have to make the call. Though it will be worth noting, I have to use prepaid data and switch sims constantly so if you'll have to do the sam, buy your Pad outright.

Can you tell me which model you have and why you purchased that model please?

For personal use, I have an iPad 32GB Wifi + 3G. I find 32GB more than adequate for a few movies, some tv shows, a vast book library, games and work. I bought it in 2011 because I needed something that would keep me amused for 12 hour flights.

I also have an iPad from each generation for work, as well as some "new iPads" wired up to my home automation system to control all the lights and that. The reason I stick with the 2 is because it has a lot of data I no longer have backed up on PC (and I am running Linux, so no chance of me getting iTunes to work) and migrating upwards for just a better screen and a few other things is a waste of effort for little reward. I am thinking of using an iPad Mini though for a few things around the house such as reading, but its screen is too small for watching movies.

Thanks for all your in-depth replies, most helpful to hear others experiences.

JenJ, looks like I should be keeping an eye on you and getting your hand me downs ;)  Mind you as I stated would prefer the full size version me thinks.  What do you see as the main benefit of the retina screening, other than security i.e. are there any others?

techen said:

I suggest looking at android makes with the same power/SD Storage.

Such as?
My sister has had nothing but issues with android phones, so I have tended to steer clear of them.  Would be interested in what you recommend with a bit more info., if you'd be so kind ;)

RCA said:
Thanks for all your in-depth replies, most helpful to hear others experiences.

JenJ, looks like I should be keeping an eye on you and getting your hand me downs
wink.png
  Mind you as I stated would prefer the full size version me thinks.  What do you see as the main benefit of the retina screening, other than security i.e. are there any others?
The retina display relates to the screen resolution, not security. It's much much sharper than the older screens, and is the only thing I miss about my old iPad. I do feel like I've taken quite a big step backwards, especially as the display is a big part of the user experience with an iPad.

If you're set on the full size, I would go for the current 'new iPad' or a second hand older 'new iPad', but avoid the iPad 1 and 2 as they have the older screens. If you live near an apple store, go in and compare the display on the iPad and iPad mini - you should be able to see a clear difference in clarity and sharpness.

I don't know if you're familiar with iPhones, but if you or friends have some to compare, it's the difference between the display on the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4. 

I have a 3rd generation iPad 32Gb wifi and my son has a mini 16Gb. My wife wants an e-reader and was initially looking at the Kindle but is now looking at the Kindle Fire HD.

I didn't really think it was worth getting the 3G version as I only use my iPad in my house or at friends/family so always had access to wifi. I have an iPhone too so always thought I could create a hotspot so I could share Internet access but I've never really needed to.

So my thought would be that unless you want to use it out and about the wifi version should be fine.

With regards to an alternative, the Kindle Fire HD looks pretty good as a tablet and is quite cheap so am seriously considering getting the other half one.

When you say managing photos and videos, what do you mean and what are you trying to do?

I've got the iPad 1. In fact I'm posting from it right now. Typical it spellcheckerizes the iPad name. Arrogant little...
I was the 4th person in Australia to get an iPad. Made me feel like a king. I do need to warn you it is addictive. In fact I haven't posted off my laptop in several weeks. Lol.

I've got the Kindle Fire HD 16G and it's brilliant. Kindle/Amazon get a lot of flack for sending you to their websites as default but that's only to be expected. Doesn't mean your hands are tied to those sites.
Got mine totally free with my latest phone contract on www.mobiles.co.uk

I think the iPad is a waste of money. I've been to a local Apple store many times and played about with various coloured iPad's and it seems to me like it's a gadget for children since most of the applications from the 'App Store' are gimmicky and riddled with bugs if they are not some sort of a game for kids.

Instead of getting an iPad i'd recommend getting a MacBook Air. They start-up in a flash just like an iPad or iPhone would when you open the lid and you get access to a wider range of Apps, including software sourced from elsewhere (i.e. Microsoft or Adobe).

Thanks to EVERYONE for their replies, very much appreciated...

Lunar Jetman said:
[deleted text]

When you say managing photos and videos, what do you mean and what are you trying to do?

I would like to have my favourite photos and videos on the iPad and therefore have access to them when I am out and about.  I also would like to have access to the internet when I am out, and obviously do not want to carry my laptop - which is starting to struggle with my demands!

Mamashack said:
I've got the Kindle Fire HD 16G and it's brilliant. Kindle/Amazon get a lot of flack for sending you to their websites as default but that's only to be expected. Doesn't mean your hands are tied to those sites.
Got mine totally free with my latest phone contract on www.mobiles.co.uk

They seem a lot cheaper, I have a friend who recently got one so I will ask him about his and take a look.
Thanks for the link but I do not do phone contracts, prefer to make my own decisions at any time rather than get locked in ;)

mark4785 said:
I think the iPad is a waste of money. I've been to a local Apple store many times and played about with various coloured iPad's and it seems to me like it's a gadget for children since most of the applications from the 'App Store' are gimmicky and riddled with bugs if they are not some sort of a game for kids.

Instead of getting an iPad i'd recommend getting a MacBook Air. They start-up in a flash just like an iPad or iPhone would when you open the lid and you get access to a wider range of Apps, including software sourced from elsewhere (i.e. Microsoft or Adobe).

Thanks I will take a look at the MacBook Air as well as a potential option.  Do you own one of these yourself?
Just had a quick Google and they seem to be about £1000 is that right?  That would be quite a large investment over the cost of even an iPad!

Thanks again everyone, all thoughts welcome in assisting in my decision.

If you are set on a ipad then feel free. Never been a fan for apple and never will. With the increase in sales for the android OS its only a matter of time when the apple brands go out of fashion.

I mean apple got drilled for slave labour, make there units for pennis and sell them for tons :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back