Do you euthanize fish? How do you do it?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry, but some of the methods to put your fish out of its misery is rather harsh and, personally speaking, would never do that to one of my fish.

Let nature take its course as thats what they would have to do in their natural surroundings.

But thats just me i suppose and everyone has their own way of looking after their fish.

Bea/\/ said:
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sicksick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

CFC put it this way if u had a dog u wouldnt wrap it in a towel or hold it down and then smash it on the head with a hammer or cut its heads off would u
No i would take it to the vets and have it put down humanely but what do you think happens to dogs in rural areas where they dont have easy access to a vets? The words shovel and back of the head spring to mind :(

How do they put down horses that have broken legs? They shoot them in the brain with a rifle as it is the quickest way of destroying a large animal, this is much the same as hitting a fish on the head with a hammer as a gun would be a bit of overkill on a fish.

I think its time for you to grow up and see how things are in the real world, animals grow old and become sick and at some point may need to be destroyed, i know that if i were suffering from a incurable terminal disease that was severly affecting any quallity life i had i would want to be euthanised.

yer + fish arnt like dogs, dogs know alot more and get stressed out much more, + i agree with grae1980, i just couldnt smash one of my beloved fish to death, its just barbaric :/

yer + fish arnt like dogs, dogs know alot more and get stressed out much more, + i agree with grae1980, i just couldnt smash one of my beloved fish to death, its just barbaric

So you would rather watch your beloved fish drift around the tank unable to control its own movements while struggling to breathe and having its tankmates pick at its eyes and fins, after all thats what happens to sick and dying fish in the wild, would you also then leave its corpse in the tank for the other fish to pick at until it is nothing but a skeleton, of course you will as you believe in letting nature take its course.

Fish tanks are not nature and no matter how much we try to set our tanks out to mimick nature it is still a closed enviroment which is controled by you and you alone.

Take off the rose tinted specticals and take some responsabilty.

I can't smash my fish though :( I don't know why but I just can't...I can't watch them suffer either. I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't do it...I don't let them die slowly and painfully either. I ask my father to do it for me :*) He dosen't seem disturb by killing the fish, but he isn't really a fishkeeper either I guess.

CFC said:
yer + fish arnt like dogs, dogs know alot more and get stressed out much more, + i agree with grae1980, i just couldnt smash one of my beloved fish to death, its just barbaric

So you would rather watch your beloved fish drift around the tank unable to control its own movements while struggling to breathe and having its tankmates pick at its eyes and fins, after all thats what happens to sick and dying fish in the wild, would you also then leave its corpse in the tank for the other fish to pick at until it is nothing but a skeleton, of course you will as you believe in letting nature take its course.

Fish tanks are not nature and no matter how much we try to set our tanks out to mimick nature it is still a closed enviroment which is controled by you and you alone.

Take off the rose tinted specticals and take some responsabilty.
dude ur scaring the crap outa me hehe... no i wouldnt let the other fish peck the crap out of it, alse they may get wat ether he had, i would put him/her in a tank on their own, see if i can do anything to get them better, or something, ive only either had a couple of mexican walkin fish who died, but i didnt kno wat was wrong with them, as they hardly moved at all anyway :/ , found out they had died when they were floating upside down :/ , i have to say if u kno wat ur doin with ur fish, its alot better than ending up having to euthanise ur fish, but if u have to i reacon the chemicals would probley be worse than the quik knife thing, cause they are practicaly being ripped appart inside by these chemicals :/ .

if its sick in anyways its better to put it down. i think that the fish would appreciate being put out of its misery then having to suffer. the suffering minght go on for a long time, while the euthanising only takes a few seconds.

wrs said:
if its sick in anyways its better to put it down. i think that the fish would appreciate being put out of its misery then having to suffer. the suffering minght go on for a long while the euthanising only takes a few seconds.
ur not talkin about the fish u tortured to death are u? :/

wrs said:
if its sick in anyways its better to put it down.
Sick in any way? So, if the fish has something totally cureable it should be killed anyway.

Between this and the killing healthy but aggressive fish thing yesterday, you have a very twisted way of looking at things.

i didnt kill any fish, ortuture anyfish, i put it in cold water, thats not half as bad as what other do. and if the fish is uncurable and its just going to die, why would you all let it suffer? i dont think thats twited, i think its better for the fish. someone else said something like that but noone said what yall are saying to me to him/her.

No, it's not about killing a sick fish for compassionate reasons, it's the fact you said that if the fish is sick in any way, then it should be killed.

And you said that you not only put the molly in cold water but then you put it into a tank with a cichlid where is was injured and then put it back in the tank to die. I do think that is twisted. If you are going to kill a fish for your own convenience, at least do it properly with as little distress to the fish as possible. Putting a tropical fish into cold water and then putting it into a situation where it will be injured by another fish when it is dazed is not right.

the molly injured the cichlid, not the other way around, then i took it out, tryed the coldwater, i didnt work then i put it in a vase with warm water for while, so when it was normal i put it back in the tank, it atacked a gourami, bit her whole tail of then she attacked and killed it.

i take the fish in the net and settle it down before i take a hammer to the head. i only do this when i can see a fish floting on its back still breathing or if its sideways on the gravel breathing. it happens when cichlids stake out territory sometimes :(.

I'm with CFC on this one, euthanzing fish is not a job any fishkeeper enjoys, but in my view sometimes has to be done.
It is something I have had to do and I would do it again if I felt that it was in the best interest's of the fish, but I am certainly not sick, warped or barbaric.
My first ever bichir which also happened to be the first fish I ever brought ate some gravel which he could pass, so he became so inflated that he was vertical in the water with his head down. After a 2 weeks of various treatments I decided that it was time to put him out of his misery, not a nice job and even at 30 I still admit to having a tear in my eye when I euthanized him, But better that then letting him struggle onfor god knows how long IMO that is sick and cruel, so perhaps some people had better face up to their responsiblities and accept that these tough decisions have to be taken.
All we can do is make sure that it is quick as possible, this may not pleasent for us but best for the fish.

people may not agree with me and thats tough on them, I will not change and if they don't want to then thats up to them!

David :fish:

I am sorry that people fell so vehimently about the way in which a dying and suffering fish should be put down.

A quick and simple method like CFC is the best,

Yeah I said A scredriver to the head, cut of its head with a pair of scissors or a towel and mash with 1 blow.

I have done Veterinary Nursing and Animal husbandary, My Mum And Gran Come from Very Big Farming families and have dealt with Euthanizing animals when very young as I have.

If you can't put a fish down Humanely, THen Why Keep any Pets at all. It is something that you at 1 time will have to do.

I have had to put down animals My-self and I have done it quickly and hope that the Animal/s have not felt any lingering Pain.

I have Euthanized Kittens, After its mother Fell Down the Stairs, A few Days before giving Birth. That was not an Easy Thing to Do, Imagine if you could. All you very very Over Quemish Keepers. Putting them to down while they were in the Womb Sac. THis was when i wa doing Veterinary Nursing.

Could any of you people do it I DO NOT THINK SO.

SO saying that Mine and other Methods were not being a nice keeper - IS wrong.

Ok Here is an example of a situation - Person brings in a hedgehog they hit while reversing out of their drive. Take 1 look at and it intenstines are hanging out of it.
It is in alot of pain and Surgery was not an option. So you Guys would have let it die a Natural Death.

Plain and simple - A needle and it slips away without any Pain.

Pigeon - Broken Wings and Feet, Beek almost gone. Plain and Simple Snap its Neck. Quick and Clean and least pain.

Now people Please Don;'t Jump down Someones Neck - If you can't take the Tough Decision's when they Need to be made. then Don't Put yourself in that situation,
Don't keep Fish.

If this post Offends anyone, then so be it. Its just some Hard Truth.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back