Do We, People In The Hobby, Remove Our Food Too Soon From The Tank?

This depends on so many factors, you wouldn't leave cucumber in a 10g filtered with a fluval 1 or UGF that has like, 2 snails in it or something. I have a 55 gallon, a tetratec 1200, a bunch of small plecs and have no problem leaving it with them for a couple of days whilst they eat the lot [bar the skin]
yeh very good point, but would the amount of cucumber be far less in a 10g than a 55g? indeed would it not be, roughly, proportional to the filter size?

I'm crap at maths don't ask me things like that :P

I dunno, but I took the cucumber skin out today after a few days being in the tank, after they'd eaten all the cucumber and it still smelt really fresh, like a cucumber should
 
I dunno, but I took the cucumber skin out today after a few days being in the tank, after they'd eaten all the cucumber and it still smelt really fresh, like a cucumber should

interesting, that was my experience too! it was amongst the things that made me question the "drop it in and get it out quick" method often advised.
 
I just chuck it in and forget about it.

Bloodworms, Peas, pellets, flakes.

I think you also have to condsider what type of tank it is rather than just how is it filtered or water changes.

Mine is planted
I do very minimal water changes and sometimes none
I leave the food in there and if it doesn't get eaten it provides nutrient for the plants to consume.
My filter is large but has hardly any media in it. It has some as a backup but in general my plants do most of the filtering.

A non planted tank therefore has a hugely different equation to solve. whereas I can just sit back and relax watching.

Andy
 
I just chuck it in and forget about it.

Bloodworms, Peas, pellets, flakes.

I think you also have to condsider what type of tank it is rather than just how is it filtered or water changes.

Mine is planted
I do very minimal water changes and sometimes none
I leave the food in there and if it doesn't get eaten it provides nutrient for the plants to consume.
My filter is large but has hardly any media in it. It has some as a backup but in general my plants do most of the filtering.

A non planted tank therefore has a hugely different equation to solve. whereas I can just sit back and relax watching.

Andy
thanks on that, i guess i was coming from the none planted side, as that's the type of tanks i have. it is an interesting variable to the question though.
 
I am also finding that planted is much easier to relax about what you're putting in the tank and how long to leave it but as I said having a 55 gallon and powerful external also helps loads.

I was thinking yesterday, if a sandwich started to mould in a lunch box it wouldn't take long before it was growing it's own legs, but if it was in on a plate in the corner of a garage, it would take way longer to effect anyone or anything.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top