Do tetras need to be in a school?

It seems that a lot of this discussion hinges on the definition of "thrive".
Yes small numbers of fish, that in the wild would normally be in large groups (either schools or shoals), can survive apparently quite happily in the small tanks we allow them. This survival can mean they grow to full size & live long lives - is that thriving?
Very few people will be able to give them real world conditions, so what we are beholden to do is give them the best conditions we can both environmentally & socially, i.e. water conditions and tank mates.
Any schooling/shoaling fish should be bought with that in mind - just buying them by how "2 of these will look good with a couple of these" is not the right way to go. If that means you only have a couple of "attractive" species in your tank so be it; that can still be a very spectacular, captivating tank to watch.
The science IS there that proves that schooling/shoaling fish are that for a reason - it is not a choice by a fish to be social! They will ALWAYS be better off if given the best conditions we can afford them. We should be keeping fish for the fishes sake, not just for us to look good.
If you just want to watch a few individuals from loads of species in a small space get a screensaver, a fish tank is a living breathing ecosystem and should be treated as such.
Although I can also see the argument that should we be keeping fish anyway - not a discussion for here.

Before anyone asks I've been keeping/breeding tropical freshwater fish since I was 11 years old (49 years ago now :sad:), worked in several aquatic shops when I was younger, and before I moved was a keen member of my local aquarist society with a passion for all things aquatic; so I'm not some "newby blow-in" - I've had my share of successes & disasters and overall more successes I'm glad to say.
Yeah Iā€™ve had a lot of experience also, if theyā€™re in a situation where they canā€™t even breed, I wouldnā€™t consider it thriving. Personal opinion I know.
But a lot of tetras group breed. With schooling behavior scattering eggs and fertilizing them.
most group animals, not just fish, act very abnormally when in single settings and often show signs of advanced illnesses more easily.
I suspect that we donā€™t notice all these because there arenā€™t a lot of fish psychiatrists lol

It seems that a lot of this discussion hinges on the definition of "thrive".
Yes small numbers of fish, that in the wild would normally be in large groups (either schools or shoals), can survive apparently quite happily in the small tanks we allow them. This survival can mean they grow to full size & live long lives - is that thriving?
Very few people will be able to give them real world conditions, so what we are beholden to do is give them the best conditions we can both environmentally & socially, i.e. water conditions and tank mates.
Any schooling/shoaling fish should be bought with that in mind - just buying them by how "2 of these will look good with a couple of these" is not the right way to go. If that means you only have a couple of "attractive" species in your tank so be it; that can still be a very spectacular, captivating tank to watch.
The science IS there that proves that schooling/shoaling fish are that for a reason - it is not a choice by a fish to be social! They will ALWAYS be better off if given the best conditions we can afford them. We should be keeping fish for the fishes sake, not just for us to look good.
If you just want to watch a few individuals from loads of species in a small space get a screensaver, a fish tank is a living breathing ecosystem and should be treated as such.
Although I can also see the argument that should we be keeping fish anyway - not a discussion for here.

Before anyone asks I've been keeping/breeding tropical freshwater fish since I was 11 years old (49 years ago now :sad:), worked in several aquatic shops when I was younger, and before I moved was a keen member of my local aquarist society with a passion for all things aquatic; so I'm not some "newby blow-in" - I've had my share of successes & disasters and overall more successes I'm glad to say.
Hello and welcome to the forum, it is nice to meet someone with experience and knowledge that can help the rest of us when we have questions. :)

Most reactions

Back