Do shrimp kill snails?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a lot of baby ramshorns in my new tank with my 5 neocaradinia shrimp. Iā€™ve been testing the water twice a week and last night I had an unexpected ammonia and nitrate spike, nitrite was 0. I also noticed a number of empty snail shells. Do shrimp kill snail? I was under the impression they didnā€™t. I have heard shrimp are ammonia sensitive and if the levels were high enough to kill snails the shrimp would also be dead. I havenā€™t been adding food to the tank as the snails were multiplying at an alarming rate without it.

My shrimp coexist just fine with my pond and rams horn snails. However, some of my fish eat ramshorn.

My shrimp groom the gunk off the back of my snails or if one dies they'll go for it but other than that they really shouldn't. Theres always an outlier though it seems and will do the opposite of the usual behavior.

I have a lot of baby ramshorns in my new tank with my 5 neocaradinia shrimp. Iā€™ve been testing the water twice a week and last night I had an unexpected ammonia and nitrate spike, nitrite was 0. I also noticed a number of empty snail shells. Do shrimp kill snail? I was under the impression they didnā€™t. I have heard shrimp are ammonia sensitive and if the levels were high enough to kill snails the shrimp would also be dead. I havenā€™t been adding food to the tank as the snails were multiplying at an alarming rate without it.
Having lots of empty snail shells lying around your tank can lead to ammonia spikes so I suggest you remove them if you can.

Having lots of empty snail shells lying around your tank can lead to ammonia spikes so I suggest you remove them if you can.

I will do when I get the chance. they are pearl rams so the shells are completely transparent and all appear empty. Iā€™ve been thinking that these deceased snails are the most likely cause of the ammonia spike.

I have seen my ghost shrimp pick up a very small pond snail and spin it around and then carry it a short way and drop it. That was only once;)

I will do when I get the chance. they are pearl rams so the shells are completely transparent and all appear empty. Iā€™ve been thinking that these deceased snails are the most likely cause of the ammonia spike.
Wow, I didn't know that. Better clean my puffer tank first thing tomorrow!!!

Wow, I didn't know that. Better clean my puffer tank first thing tomorrow!!!
Empty shells are not a source of ammonia. In fact they are beneficial if you want more calcium (harder water) for molting shrimps. If there is still flesh inside then that will decompose and produce ammonia.

Empty shells are not a source of ammonia. In fact they are beneficial if you want more calcium (harder water) for molting shrimps. If there is still flesh inside then that will decompose and produce ammonia.
I see, every now and then, well actually just 2 times, I noticed out of the shells on the bottom appeared white fuzzy stuff. I figured Niblet, my Puffer, didn't or couldn't finish the snail so I removed those right away and discarded.

Also, should I move some of the empty shells from the "snail graveyard" that is on rhe bottom of my Dwarf Puffer's tank--of course I will have to make sure they are empty--into another tank I have? The tank currently has 6 Celestial Pearl Danios and 5 RCS.

Should I rinse them? Crush them?

Thanks!

I see, every now and then, well actually just 2 times, I noticed out of the shells on the bottom appeared white fuzzy stuff. I figured Niblet, my Puffer, didn't or couldn't finish the snail so I removed those right away and discarded.

Also, should I move some of the empty shells from the "snail graveyard" that is on rhe bottom of my Dwarf Puffer's tank--of course I will have to make sure they are empty--into another tank I have? The tank currently has 6 Celestial Pearl Danios and 5 RCS.

Should I rinse them? Crush them?

Thanks!
If you think your water is too soft for your shrimps to molt effectively, yes you could rinse and crush shells and add them to the shrimp tank or filter. They will very slowly release calcium into the water. Be careful not to raise the parameters too high for the CPD though, their mid-range would be pH 7 GH 180.

If you think your water is too soft for your shrimps to molt effectively, yes you could rinse and crush shells and add them to the shrimp tank or filter. They will very slowly release calcium into the water. Be careful not to raise the parameters too high for the CPD though, their mid-range would be pH 7 GH 180.
I do my tank maintenance today. I'm always excited but a little nervous...

If I find ammonia.
Especially since I have misplaced my chart.
Trying to measure it by comparing online images is difficult.

To be honest with you comparing it to the Chart when I had it was difficult too. I'm not sure if it's how dark the yellow is or whether or not the yellow has a tinge of green.

All of the other parameters are pretty easy for me to judge it's just the ammonia one

I I can say so far all of the inhabitants seem to be doing well except for the 2 disappearing mini shrimp.

I'm getting ready to check all my tanks now.

Good luck with your parameters. Is it the API liquid test that you use?

Most reactions

trending

Back