Do Plants Need Feeding?

gowing238

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello.

I bought a few plants for my aquarium yesterday. I dont have a clue what they r sorry! I have been reading about c02 and am thinkig of making a system. I was wondering if these plants also need feeding. If they do what do they have and where do you get it?

cheers

All plants need food (nutrients). The amount necessary depends on lots of factors, mainly the plant species and your set up.

Do you have any photos of the plants?

What set up do you have - Tank size, type and quantity of lighting etc?

The biggest factor for plant growth is light. The more light the quicker the plants want to grow. So the more nutrients they need.

It's likely that you'll have a low-light set up, as most aquariums need modifying to med-high light. With low-light your are limited to lower light tolerant plants and CO2 injection isn't required. Adding an off-the-shelf liquid fertliser as per the instructions is normally sufficent.

Whatever the set up, it is advisable to plant heavily. This normally means well over half the substrate covered with plants. A lightly planted tank is a recipe for algae issues. This is a newcomer's most common mistake in a planted tank - under planting.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back