Do I need water from the parent’s tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have fry in a 10 gallon. Can I use regular dechlorinated water or do I need to use water from the parent’s tank?

I have fry in a 10 gallon. Can I use regular dechlorinated water or do I need to use water from the parent’s tank?
Is the new tank cycled? How long have they been in there? As long as it is just a normal water change I assume you would be fine with fresh water

Is the 10 gallon tank cycled? If it is a new tank it is not. Water from your parents tank will not help. You need to transfer the good bacteria like from the filter media or gravel to the new tank or use Tetra SafeStart plus to get the good bacteria.

Is the 10 gallon tank cycled? If it is a new tank it is not. Water from your parents tank will not help. You need to transfer the good bacteria like from the filter media or gravel to the new tank or use Tetra SafeStart plus to get the good bacteria.
I know all of that. I took a sponge filter from a cycled 20 gallon. I just wanted to know if the fry would be fine with new water or if they needed water that was from were they were born

The water from your parents tank will not be any better than your new water. I would just use new water.

When my mollies has fry I would put them in completely new water with no acclimation and survival rate was high and I still have that batch of fry (the mother of these specific mollies was killed by my internal filter)

Since it's just got the sponge you don't know if it has enough bacteria - I put in a captul of Tetra Safe Start Plus to just get a little extra bacteria in there - but other than that, treat it like any other tank you're doing a water change on.

There's a couple of good things to point out when moving fry to a new tank...
1) There's nothing to be gained by [also] transferring polluted water from the parents tank.
2) Unlike full grown fish, fry, even many, generate very little ammonia. moving a sponge filter from another established tank probably has sufficient BB to handle the slight ammonia generated. You can add BB supplements, but I've never found it necessary.
3) For the very best fry health and growth, do frequent sufficient water changes to ensure a high [fresh] water quality.
4) Remember that unlike adult fish, fry need to be fed small amounts frequently 3 or more times a day. I feed new fry every 2-3~ hours during the day. (Like 8am, noon, 3, 5, 7) giver or take.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back