Do I need conditioned water for planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you condition your houseplant water? If so, does it seem to help them grow better?
Nah, I just use tap, or old tank water for my plants outside...fish-poop water is nutritious, lol

There is no harm to aquarium plants from chlorinated water. Chlorine is actually a plant nutrient, though in a very small amount as it is a micro-nutrient. But if fish are not present, I never dechlorinate water for the aquarium. My "QT" for new fish acquisitions runs without fish for several months (depending when I acquire fish) and I do regular water changes with tap water without conditioner. The plants remain alive and healthy, although the lack of ammonia/ammonium due to there being no fish creating organics and ammonia is noticeable, until new fish are added.
This is a rollercoaster of answers! But I think this trumps everyone because of your plant expertise. The fish-free aquascape 'tank' (bowl) will have unconditioned water, unless I get shrimp in the future.

Blood is great for roses. In the old days I knew people who took home excess blood from the hospital for their roses!
Seriously?

"Excess blood" from a hospital?

What kind of "old days" are we talking about here, lol...you may be older than I imagined...

I don’t condition the water for my heavily planted tank and everything is growing like mad! I’m hoping to go chemical free and once I get the fish, will use a bucket to let the water stand for 24 hours before adding to the tank so that the chlorine will have gassed off…

I don’t condition the water for my heavily planted tank and everything is growing like mad! I’m hoping to go chemical free and once I get the fish, will use a bucket to let the water stand for 24 hours before adding to the tank so that the chlorine will have gassed off…
I have never used dechlorinator, If you have a heavily planted tank that is slightly acidic you can safely do 25% water changes once a week with no ill effects.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back