Do Harlequin Shrimp Need To Eat Sea Stars

harlequin shrimp don't eat the starfish instantly. Often it will be eaten over a couple of weeks, depending on how big the starfish is compared to the shrimp, (big starfish last longer). I'm not sure if I would rather lose a limb quickly, or get eaten alive over the course of several weeks, the former I guess.

out of interest does it hurt the starfish to remove a leg?
how long till aother grows back?
and do u have to cut it off or break it etc?

I read they do it via scalpel and feed one a weekby the time they got through 5 legs the first had grown back again...sounds kinda cruel if you ask me,just a option i suppose.

You could always get a supply of pest stars from a LFS.

I think if you had a sump it would make keeping one of these dudes so much easier.

Out of interest does it hurt the starfish to remove a leg? Not in the same way people feel pain. They don't like it and it does cause a bit of stress to them, however they have evolved to shed limbs on occasions and can drop legs when threatened or injured.

How long till another grows back? Under good conditions the leg can grow back in about a month.

And do u have to cut it off or break it etc? A clean sterile scalpel or single sided razor blade works well and leaves a cleaner wound that heals faster.

hi a couple more questons

are the harlequins expensive and hard to get?

is it like chocolate chip stars etc they eat?

what size of tank would u need to have for just a pair of harlequins?

why dont they eat anything else but starfish?

how often would u need to feed them?

In Australia they are because you can't bring them into the country. When they do become available here they sell for a couple of hundred dollars each. They are probably much cheaper and more readily available in the US & UK.

They generally eat Linkia species of starfish, blue linkia and red linkia. Some will have a go at other starfish that are similar to the linkias.

100litres plus for a pr. They get to about 4inches long and need really good water quality. The bigger the tank, the more stabile the water will be.

why don’t they eat anything else but starfish?
They have evolved to hunt starfish. They are a natural starfish predator and by controlling the starfish, they help other organisms survive the starfish's predacious appetite.

They need feeding every day. Usually you add a starfish or leg and leave it until it has been eaten. Then add another one.

In Australia they are because you can't bring them into the country. When they do become available here they sell for a couple of hundred dollars each. They are probably much cheaper and more readily available in the US & UK.

They generally eat Linkia species of starfish, blue linkia and red linkia. Some will have a go at other starfish that are similar to the linkias.

100litres plus for a pr. They get to about 4inches long and need really good water quality. The bigger the tank, the more stabile the water will be.

why don’t they eat anything else but starfish?
They have evolved to hunt starfish. They are a natural starfish predator and by controlling the starfish, they help other organisms survive the starfish's predacious appetite.

They need feeding every day. Usually you add a starfish or leg and leave it until it has been eaten. Then add another one.

thanks colin

i saw on youtube smeone keepinga pair of them in a 2.5gallon tank not good then

2.5gallons is tiny and would be really hard to keep the water stabile. Most people I know use buckets for water changes that hold 2.5g or more. I wouldn't even try keeping a tank that small.

Most reactions

Back