Do Discus Need Blackwater?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

penguinpimp1990

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i was thinking of maybe a south american tank with some dicus and a few angels, and other blackwater fish........ but do discus NEED blackwater? i hate the look of it but ill do it if they require it. also does anyone have any pics of their tank with tannins? could do also reccomend a bottom feeder for this tank?

i was thinking of maybe a south american tank with some dicus and a few angels, and other blackwater fish........ but do discus NEED blackwater? i hate the look of it but ill do it if they require it. also does anyone have any pics of their tank with tannins? could do also reccomend a bottom feeder for this tank?

Do you mean brackish water? Discus will do fine in non-salted water.

nope they dont NEED blackwater, however it does contain minerals that will make them look fantastic - as long as your water quality is very good then everything should be okay

1 Do you mean brackish water? Discus will do fine in non-salted water.

2 No they dont need blackwater, as for bottom feeders, Id go for corries and maybe ghost shrimp?

3 nope they dont NEED blackwater, however it does contain minerals that will make them look fantastic - as long as your water quality is very good then everything should be okay

1. lol newbies........
2. ghost shrimp would be eaten and the tmep would be too high for cories
3. it think i might use blackwater then.....

C. Sterbai can withstand the high tempratures that discus require. and yeah... I wouldn't wanna go brackish LOL!

As for the water, I use Discus Buffer by Seachem to lower the Ph to a comfortable 6.5 and it has essential discus minerals in it. Good luck on your tank!

Hi all,
I love Kent Blackwater and Kent Discus Essentials. I replace all water volume changed out with the recommended doses on the bottles. I.E. For 50% water change, which I do daily, use the directions for that amount of water of Kent products to put back. I have a Fluval FX-6 for each tank. Also, I give them frozen Spirolina Brine Shrimp in the AM and live blackworms (rinsed 2x/day) in the PM. My T is 84-85, pH is 7.6, and the tap water is very hard and I don't fix it (with anything else). These are tank raised hybrids, so they can get used to different water parameters. The main thing is to keep the pH constant. I have a planted tank with Anubias, Swords, a Java Fern and some Jungle Val. Below are untouched photos. These 4 Discus are 5.5 to 7 inches. They take alot of time, but are worth it!
ffa0709a4f55daa50b05b4faa4297d63.jpg
4b174d7b5f57a02b1db1ca210be5f54a.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back