Do Cherry Shrimp Usually Hide All The Time?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GreenIsGood

Reaction score
I just added a pair of cherry shrimp to my fairly new 10 gal. tank.  It's cycled an has had three honey gouramis living pretty happily in it for the past two weeks.  All the stats seem good.

Since I added the shrimp, I have only seen them twice.  Both times a shrimp had managed to get it's tail stuck in the intake for the filter.  I was able to remove them easily and they appeared to recover quickly.  I have since wrapped the intake to prevent that happening.

So is the disappearing act normal or should I go looking for them?  It's a small tank but pretty densely planted and I have some mopani in there which is where I assume they are hiding.

It's quite common for shrimp to hide so yes, The more plants and such you add the more likely they'll show there faces.

i have a 90l  tank with possiblly around 20 cherry shrimp and there always out but the i surpose some could be hiding and some out maybe if you want to see them more get some more shrimp

If they see the gourami as threats they'll hide. I have about 20 in my 55g that I rarely, rarely see. The 200 or so I have in my 20g cory tank are out all the time. 

Here's mine around dinnertime ...

IMG_8208_zps426ee587.jpg

Half the tank is pretty densely planted.  I'm waiting for some Dwarf Baby Tears to finish off the other side.

I'll just wait it out.  It's a fairly new tank so I didn't want to just drop a bunch of shrimp in there although I understand that they prefer larger communities.  If I can find them and they seem healthy I'll add a few more.

Thanks all!

Cherry shrimp will hide if in low numbers, but also when they have moulted and their new shell is soft and vunerable. I find they are a bit like Khuli loaches and some other species of fish the more plants and structure in the tank the more visible the shrimp will be.
With your cherries did you get a male and female or two the same sex? If you got a male and female, then when the female is ready to breed you will soon enough see the male tearing about the tank looking for her.

The shrimp were all pretty immature at the store so I wasn't able to sex them.  I'm waiting on the store to bring in my HC and a small group of Endler's livebearers.  I'll wait until that's all settled before adding more shrimp to avoid stressing the tank more than I need to.

I only got the shrimp because we had a major blackout here that lasted for several days and my local store was effected.  It was kind of a rescue, they lost half their stock to cold temps.

All my tiny ones hide. My largest one are like hovercrafts fluttering all over.

Yeah I've got three red cherries mixed in with 5 male guppies and 5 neon tetra, the red cherries mostly hide in the cracks of the drift wood but they actually show their faces a fair bit ( the male especially) well right now my male is cruizing around the tank past the guppies not bothered by them at all.
When I first introduced the red cherries into the tank they didn't show their face for about a week or so, I'm guessing once they get used to their new surroundings and realize that the fish wont bother them they will come out more often. My tank has a bunch of Erect moss and Taiwan moss also a few grasses spread out which they love to clean, I agree with the other posts about the plants, the more you have the more they will come out (within reason ofc haha)

Most reactions

Back