Do Amano Shrimp Really Poop This Much?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Myuu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I can just sit and watch my amano shrimp poop, it never stops. I changed the water yesterday, as well as vacuum up all the poop left from the shrimp. I came home from school and it looked like I never even cleaned up the poop. Might it be because I have a ton of algae in my tank? I mean, the sides and back of the tank was just covered in it. A combination of more plants, and CO2 have helped remove some of the algae, and the shrimp are just constantly eating the algae on some of the plant leaves. They also try to run away with an algae wafer meant for my kuhli loaches. Is this abnormal? I have white sand so the poop doesn't look very nice =____=;

Most shrimp have a really high metabolism and will poo continuously if they are fed continuously. If there is lots of food for them, they will make a bit of mess. Just keep doing regular water changes and gravel cleans and they should be fine.

does this mean the add a lot to the bioload? with that in mind, whats an over-general rule-of-thumb for # of amano shrimp in a 30g tank?

Shrimp don't eat crap. They eat particles of food that fish haven't eaten, and many of them eat algae, but they won't eat fish waste.

The more food they get, the more they poop :nod: My shrimps definitely poop lots :lol:

Yeah my amano's are little poop-machines too. There is almost constantly a 'sprinkling' of poop on the sand, despite my best efforts with regular siphoning! :lol:

Most reactions

Back