Diy Yeast Co2 Solution In Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joe_Shafe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just set up a DIY Yeast CO2 system with 2 two liter bottles a bubble counter and a glass ceramic diffuser on Thursday. I have two check valves coming from each 2 liter bottle but somehow I'm pretty sure the sugar/yeast mixture is leaking into my tank. I've noticed the water turning a brownish color lately and after a water change on Sunday the water has already begun to turn brown again. And when I smell the diffuser and the end of the tubing it smells like yeast. Any ideas on how it could be getting in?

That happened to me. If the tubes are pushed too far into the bottles it will pump it in the tank. The tube should only come out of the cap about a half inch and the bottles should only be three quarters full. In my instance, one bottle fell over. I had to install a third bottle with two lines plumbed into it. One from my yeast bottles, and one to my tank. This way anything liquid would stay in the bottom of the empty third bottle.

The check valve is designed to stop your tank draining into the CO2, not the other way around.

TrainRek is right with the extra bottle. I personally put one long tube down into a layer of water at the bottom and one short tube leading to the tank out of the water.

That way you have a bottle to stop the yeast and a bubble counter thrown in together.

+ 1 for bubble counter... although iv never had this problem myself

the diagram should have a check valve from the bubble counter to the tank as well? or your bubble counter will get full up

Depends where is it relative to the tank water level. The air lock may suffice if it's not way below the tank. Otherwise, yes it would certainly not hurt. I'd put one in.

Other thing is if its running 24/7 like most yeast systems its unlikely.

Well the bubble counter i thought would separate any unwanted liquid from going into the tank. I have it set up so it does go into the water then another line runs from it to the tank. I smelled the inside of the bubble counter and it does smell like the yeast solution so I thought it was separating it. I added another bottle for a bubble counter last night after a water change and its still a little brown, more than this morning. Any ideas?

1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, about 2 teaspoons of molasses (I eyeball it), and then 1/2 teaspoon of yeast in warm water, and all in a 2 liter bottle filled 3/4 of the way

I'd set it up like the diagram, use 2 bottles, 1 cup of sugar with 1/2 to 1 tsp of yeast in each and fill 2/3 of the way up, set them up so you start one Sunday and the other Wednesday and change them weekly on the same day you set them up. This way the level stays more uniform which will prevent algae and you have a constant supply even when changing a mix as the non return valves stop you loosing pressure when changing a bottle. Also with the mixes lower in the bottles there is less chance of mix getting into the bubble counter or tank.

i do as Steve said but using 3 bottles (at the moment) im going to experiment with another to see when to change it... :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back