Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DIY Python

Discussion in 'Aquarium DIY' started by SirMinion, Aug 28, 2005.

1. SirMinion

SirMinion Sexy Martha Fahaka
    Retired Moderator

I had to pin this post taken from this thread because it's so well written, amusing and so very, very useful.
    Enjoy.

2. metfan581

metfan581 Member

During the summer time on the news it says not to drink out of the hose because the hose contains lead and drinking too much out of the hose will give you lead posining.
    So if you use a hose would you be putting lead in to your tank?
    (a hose Im refering to is a regulaear green garden hose)
    ????

3. Twobeards

Twobeards Member

I feel the python is the best thing that has ever happened to the tropical fish industry making iy much easier to clean and fill your tanks. I have a 25 foot python and after 1 year the shut off valve developes a crack and I get a shower as well as the livingroom and kitchen. Its my recomendation that if you have a python or are planning to buy one change the plastic valve with a brass one that can be easily found in most home remodeling stores. I printed the order form from pythons site and then sent money order with order form for a new valve that was three weeks ago and I live in the same state WI. that the python company is in. I called them this morning and was told that it was being shipped out today. Great product but slow customer service! :no:

4. rEvolution27

rEvolution27 Member

And incase you don't want to go through all that just use airtubing to siphon out the water and replace with clean water using the siphon in the reverse way. Just suck a little to create a flow of water out of the tank. Then suck from your clean water to create a flow into the tank. The destination of the water, however must be lower than the source.

5. onemisterchristian

Is it just me....I can't see any of the links. :no: Could it have anything to do with the fact that i'm in the us?

6. IovaykInD

IovaykInD Member

Websites are global. You will definately be able to see it unless they are in a different language and you get weird symbols.

7. The-Wolf

The-Wolf Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species

links don't work all you get is

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers Fehler "80040e14'
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Zeile 1: Falsche Syntax in der Nähe von '='.

/productcatalog/includes/displayProductTree.asp, line 52

8. silver107

silver107 Member

:) Links are working fine for me. :)

9. rEvolution27

rEvolution27 Member

Yeh, they work for me too. Oops. The photobucket ones work but not the rest. Silly me.

10. onemisterchristian

11. wendywc

wendywc Rocking a crabshell for a hat.

For the past few years, I've siphoned with my old gravel vac that I have a long 20' tube that goes out the window into the flower bed... my flowers love that fish pooey water.

I then fill with the garden hose with an extension hose and topped with this faucet mounted water filter. I do use water conditioners too.

12. Bex

Bex Member

Just want to say thanks for this pin! We made a python this weekend and it works!!!! :hyper:

Well chuffed! Only problem we have is, it doesn't work so well with the gravel vac we've got (think our vac end is too big so you lose pressure), but we think we can do something about it!

No more buckets for water changes for me!!!

Nice one! :good:

13. diburning

diburning Member

the brass connector parts of the hose contains trace amounts of lead. Lead in tank water shouldn't cause a problem because you should look at the lead levels in native fish.

Its easier to buy python replacement parts or Lee's ultimate gravel vac replacement parts. I find it easier to use than the faucet splitter. (and plus most of the parts I couldn't find at home depot)

14. afireinside

afireinside A Shrine To Madness

If that were true, I'd be dead.

This Python on the other hand looks very usefull, maybe I need to make one.

15. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Hi Guys,

I just built one of these using clear pvc pipe and a plastic T connector. Diameter is 12mm (1/2 inch)

I connected it up but when i try and create the vacuum all that happens is the water flows down the pipe towards the tank

I've played about with the tap on differen tpressures but cant seem to get it working.

Any ideas on this?