Diy External Filter (Update 21/9)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Craig89

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Afternoon Everyone,

After coming across a thread on here about DIY filters I decided I would give it ago myself as the internal filter on my 70l tank is abit pants. I've today started collecting the parts and will post a step by step guide as the filter takes shape.

I looked in every supermarket for a tall airtight and watertight container but all were too small so a quick look on eBay came up with this:

4dfb5bab.jpg

£5:85 with next day delivery. (had to collect from post office this morning as I missed it on Friday)

Whilst on eBay looking at tanks I came across a chap not to far away clearing out alot of tanks and equipment including a few powerheads so I will be collecting a 1400 lph one from him today for a sum of £10. I already have mature media from the internal pump so I just need to call at the lfs to pick up sum clear hose and stop at the DIY shop for some push fit plumbing fittings as I don't want to silicone the tubes in the holes as I want to be able to clean/ replace if needs be.

The build will hopefully start tomorrow :).

Ooo ... please keep a journal here so we can watch your progress! Lots of photos, please.
biggrin.gif

This sounds really cool! Will definitely keep an eye on this thread :lol:

im going to follow this im currently looking into something for my nano tank.

look forward to this :good:

Ok so little update: thought I better test how water tight the container was so filled with water put lid on locked in place and shook upside down and not a drop came out

652f5278.jpg

And here it is ready for the build to begin

d5463419.jpg

Proper work starts tomorrow

Ok so the build has began today :D but i havnt had chance to collect the powerhead which isnt a problem as i have to wait for the silicone to dry. Right here we go:

You will need the following:
53c4b1bf.jpg

Container
Drill with 15mm drill bit or hole saw
Tape or ruler
Pencil
15mm Push fit Stem Elbow (Wickes B&Q etc etc)
Aquarium Silicone

Step 1:

Take your tape measure and measure 2 inch up from the bottom of the container and mark with pencil

aad8636a.jpg

Step 2:

Find the centre of the container and mark with pencil

d2d6bc8e.jpg

Step 3:

You should now have two lines that cross each other to give you you drill point. Place your drill with 15mm hole saw on the centre point and slowly begin to drill. TAKE THIS BIT SLOWLY AS YOU DONT WANT TO CRACK THE CONTAINER!

79a85762.jpg

Step 4:

Hopefully you now have a nice 15mm hole in the container for your Inlet :D

a7ae78f7.jpg

Have a test fit of the Stem Elbow

7421224b.jpg

Step 5:

On the opposite side of the container you now want to drill another hole at the top for your Outlet. Again you want to measure your centre point. I wanted my outlet as high as possible without obstructing the lid.

6a6a3975.jpg

Step 6:

Drill your outlet hole SLOWLY and again you should have a nice 15mm hole

86dce8d9.jpg

Step 7:

Test fit your Stem elbow in the outlet hole

e0008803.jpg

Step 8:

Once happy with the positioning of the Elbows (you can have them facing up if you like) reach for you aquarium safe silicone.

6fbf7030.jpg

Step 9:

Silicone round the hole. Make sure you get good contact between the elbow and the cntainer you dont want any leaks;

b5a09f48.jpg

05415d84.jpg

Step 10:

94f93823.jpg

Leave the container for 24-48 hours so the silisone can dry. You could use bulkhead elbows like those used when building a sump which would mean you didnt have to wait for silicone to dry.

Thats it for now ill update again when i have the powerhead and hoses :D

Good work, looks a top job I've got all the bits sat waiting to but it was a lazy Sunday for me :),

Loving what you've done so far :good:

I tried making one but it leaked so binned it lol

But yours looks better as I used a shorter container that the pump barely fit in so it wasn't the greatest

Nice job Craig! Looks to be progressing well. The waiting for the silicone to cure is the worst bit in my opinion! :lol:

I think you've made the right decision to stick with the tank! Would love to bob over for a real life look when it's all done! :nod:

More than welcome caz should have the 270l sorted with it's new stock by then.

Had a little set back with the filter it had a tiny leak on the inlet so I've taken the silicone off and re done it think I was abit eagar with the water test.

Ok so another set back today :-( the silicone just won't give a good enough seal so I've been back to wickes and got two 15mm tank connectors which are used for cold water storage tanks but are the same as bulkhead fittings so no silicone required :) I'll update tomorrow on water tightness

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back