Diy Co2

irvs

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 18, 2009
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
n.ireland
Hi all its project time again . Im going to construct a diy co2 system (yeast version). I just want a run down of all the part and ingrediants needed. Also a guide on construction running and mantainance would be very helpful. It'll be for a 60l planted tank.
thanks loads neil.
 
For the mix I use sugar, yeast and water.

Here is the system I use -
natural-plant-system.jpg


Instructions come with the system. You don't need to keep buying the 'active ingredient' sachets.

I use this on my 65 litre planted tank and I have had great results.
 
thanks for the reply but its not what i was asking about, i want a detailed list for the DIY setup.

could someone please chime in with details as i know many here use this setup.

thanks neil.
 
For a DIY...

Plastic bottle with screw on lid
Drill or awl + sturdy blade
CO2 resistant air-line
Silicone or superglue (super glue will make an airtight seal, and is considered marine safe.)
Check-valve (optional)
Bubble counter (optional)

Diffuser - small piece of bamboo chopstick, or cigarette filter in the airline. I haven't personally tried this, I use a pre-made ladder.

Construction:
1. Remove the lid from the bottle, and drill a hole just large enough for the tubing to be squeezed into.
2. Stuff the tubing in until you can pull an inch or two through
3. Seal around the tubing at the top of the lid with silicone or superglue...let dry for 24 hours.
4. Trim the bit of tubing that will be going into the bottle short so yeast water cannot get into it.
5. (Optional) Connect tubing to bubble counter
6. (Optional) Connect tubing to check valve
7. Cut the airline to the desired length.
8. Insert small bit of chopstick or cig filter into the end of the airline
9. Weight the airline down with something like a rock or piece of driftwood. If you want more control over where to put it you'll need suction cups.
10. Put sugar, warm (not hot) water, yeast, and baking soda (optional) into the bottle. Mix well. Screw top back on bottle. (Usually easier to turn the bottle instead of the cap)
11. Leave it alone for a bit...it can take a little while to build up pressure.

Trouble shooting:
- If the bottle begins to look puffed up you've got a blockage. Remedy this asap...otherwise the bottle might blow and make a horrendous mess.
- If there are no bubbles in 24 hours, use some dishsoap around the seal of the tubing where it enters the lid to check for leaks
- If there are no bubbles, and no leaks, open the bottle and check to see if the mixture is "fizzing". If not, the yeast is most likely dead.
- Fluffy white stuff forms on the diffuser. Yeast is getting into the line. Bubble counters usually prevent it from reaching the tank.

Maintenance:
- Most mixes only last a week or two. I run two bottles at once (soon to be three), and replace both once per week. One on Mondays, one on Thursdays.
- The diffuser method I've listed above may require weekly replacements...just pull out the bamboo stick/cig filter and put in a new one each week.
 
I've gone with the above setup but abit more simple for my 20litre tank.

i use a 2 litre coke bottle.

You don't need to silicone the tubing in the lid of the bottle just make sure you drill a hole that is gonna be a really tight fit for the tubing to get through, so if you put the tubing through and can pull it through with your fingers its not tight enough I needed pliers to pull mine through and it doesn't seem to be leaking and have had it going for over 4 weeks now.

I also just used an air stone as the diffuser on the end of the tubing that goes in the tank and bought a drop checker to monitor the Co2 levels, they cost stuff all.

the mixture I use is yeast, sugar and water:

- I put 1/2 teaspoon of yeast into a small container that is filled with luke warm water (make sure it is luke warm not hot) and stir until there are no lumps in it at all
- 2 cups of sugar into the bottle and fill it with water to the top of the label, I then shake it all up
- add the yeast mixture to the bottle and shake it

Thats really how simple it is it will take abit until it starts preducing Co2 which could be a few hours.

The amount of yeast is up to you the more yeast you use the stronger the Co2 will be and the less yeast you use the longer it will last you will have to eperiment until you get the right amount. Start small at first if you have fish in your tank otherwise to much Co2 will kill the fish if you ain't careful.
 
thanks soo much Aphotic Phoenix and gurglar your answers helped 110%.

i think the diy method and yeast mixture should be a sticky it would save people like me asking the same questions and failed search attempts.


tanks again neil.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top