DIY barrier for floating plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
In this tank How much is enough I have constrained my frogbit to 50% of the surface by using the tank cross brace as a barrier. Well I love the effect - I just don't want it to be in the centre of the tank. Oh and I'd like to do similar in my 2 smaller tanks which don't have cross braces.

So I thought I'd use some of the metres of air hose in my garage and bought a pack of these.Long story short it never worked. Grip on the tubes wasn't strong enough and the angle was all wrong. So I pulled out the little clips (leaving a hole in the back of the cup). Went to collect my tube of silicone and it was useless as the cap was cracked. Not being the patient type it was the old glue gun to the rescue.
  1. Cut the tubing to size
  2. A blob of glue into either end to seal it (probably not necessary)
  3. A good blob of glue into the back of the cups
  4. Insert tubes
  5. Wait 5 minutes and attach to tank
Job done with exactly the result I hoped for. I now have a fixed (but moveable) barrier to contain my frogbit. The large leaves and roots mean I don't need it to float up and down as height doesn't need to be exact. It also means that after water changes all I have to do is retrieve any that are on the wrong side of the barrier and put them back. Its all high enough to fit behind the rim so nothing is visible.
20191106_200523.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great idea thanks for the protip! [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

How do you keep your fish from bothering your frogbit? I tried getting some from a local fish store here in town and I did something similar with a bit of tubing tied from the filter to the heater chord coming out of the tank. My angels kept pulling them underwater by the roots and spit them out and my loaches would suck them into their mouths and pull them down to the substrate.

How do you keep your fish from bothering your frogbit?
I don't. They are there for the fish. I don't have any fish that actively eat or destroy plants but generally I try not to interfere any more than I need to.

That is very helpful and creative! I have been looking for a good, cheap, and DIY separator for my Salvinia! Thanks! :thanks:

That is very helpful and creative! I have been looking for a good, cheap, and DIY separator for my Salvinia! Thanks! :thanks:
It won't be as effective with salvinia as the smaller leaves will escape - and they stick to other things in the tank when you change water. Will make a difference though.

Most reactions

Back