Diy Aquarium Hood (55 Gallon)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

R0ADK1ll88

Reaction score
I am planning on building my own hood. Attached is a sketch of what I plan to build. I would like any input on the design.

FishHood.jpg

The front of the unit will give approximately 6" of access along the entire front of the tank for maintenance and water changes. I am considering adding a flat opening at the filter pocket to allow for easy access to the media. I am using a penguin biowheel and the pocket is designed to fit the unit. The majority of the weight will be supported by left and right side of the tank. I believe this is OK because I have seen similar systems on the web. Any insites?

I will be mounting lighting to the interior of the hood with switches on the back of the unit. I do not have the final plan worked out to achieve this yet. I want to mount two light fixtures in the hood. A two bulb unit in the larger portion and a single bulb system that will fold up with the front of the unit.

I have not begun to build the hood yet so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The material list is preliminary and only reflects the costs to build the unit as shown. No provisions were made for the lighting installation.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back